Trashed mobile homes - Posted by Steve

Posted by Anne_ND on July 11, 2007 at 17:45:26:

Tye-

Are you talking about the tenant who drove his car through the front of the house in a blizzard and pinned his girlfriend to the bed? 'Cause that was an accident!

You must be talking about the tenant who tinkered with the furnace so the house would blow up when it was turned on after she’d left- that wasn’t an accident.

Tenants!

Anne

Trashed mobile homes - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on July 11, 2007 at 11:52:18:

Do a high percentage of mobile homes that you have to foreclose on, get trashed by their former occupants? If so, what %?

Re: Trashed mobile homes - Posted by Ryan (NC)

Posted by Ryan (NC) on July 11, 2007 at 18:12:32:

I concur that trash outs are fairly rare, we’ve had one out of many rentals & LD’s. Trash is common, living room carpet stained is common, paint after a year or 2 (or over pink etc.) is common, staples & nails in weird places is common, pet droppings are common, a little trim here and there… Normal “damages” don’t normally run over $200 or so on a bad day from my experiance.

If you treat people with respect and follow the proper legal procedures you normally reap what you sow, treat people like dogs and you can drive greentree’s repo list to see what the results are for yourself. Most horror stories are just that, they are based on a rare occurrence that might or might not have happened like the story says.

Don’t let fear of the unknown stop you! Read, network, and spend time with the folks here to get the other side of the story, there’s a lot more to it that’s a heck of a lot of fun!

Best wishes,
Ryan Needler

Re: Trashed mobile homes - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on July 11, 2007 at 17:28:08:

I’ve only gotten one back & I didn’t have to do anything except
place an ad & post a sign.

I’ve experienced lots of damages in rentals, but that’s as all just
the way the tenants lived, holes punched in the walls & doors,
maggots & all. My experience is that when folks buy or L/O they
experience pride of ownership. In fact, the one junker I own I’m
considering just signing it over to the tenant.

My guess is that a lot of foreclosure trashing could be avoided by
dealing well w/the buyers. Sometimes a little ca$h helps. Check
the Archives, as this has been well discussed.

Of the tenant damages I’ve seen, those that were deliberate were,
in most cases (Anne’s experience excepted), the easiest to repair.
Punched walls & doors are easy to cover. The really awful
damages (e.g., dry rot) usually happened just out of ignorance or
carelessness, like failing to close a window in a rainstorm.

Tye

Re: Trashed mobile homes - Posted by osupsycho (OK)

Posted by osupsycho (OK) on July 11, 2007 at 15:58:46:

Well I know that my experiences are going to be different than most as I just got my first home back after 2 years in the business. I was threatening foreclosure but the buyer just disappeared first and on top of that I got it back in broom swept condition (I think he even vacuumed!). The only thing I have to do is change the locks and put out a for sale sign. I am counting my lucky stars on this one…

Jad

not really - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on July 11, 2007 at 15:27:49:

usually its the regular stuff - electrical issues (bad plug causing the whole series line to be bad), bad faucet or drain lines or other minor water/plumbing issues, paint, floor coverings.

I’m getting one back right now - new blinds = $50, new carpet = $250, kitchen lino = $100, door with a hole = $10, some fixtures = $20, some paint = $50 MAX, and perhaps 100-200 labor . . . whassat, $700 or less? Par for the course, cost of doing business. First two buyers have gotten me in the black, so its like buying a house for $700, that will rent (in this park) for net $300, or RTO/note for same.

This is what I’d call a typical repo.

Re: Trashed mobile homes - Posted by james(CA)

Posted by james(CA) on July 19, 2007 at 14:01:50:

“If you treat people with respect and follow the proper legal procedures you normally reap what you sow”

I am curious to know if/how a park owner can nicely treat tenants/residents in case of eviction or major violation in order to avoid trashing and other damages? I would assume timely giving out notice and follow the law -are there more tricks like bribing them to move out? Thanks