TWO VIN numbers for a DW???? - Posted by Robin(AZ)

Posted by Gary Duty - TX on April 13, 2002 at 21:34:30:

All the DW’s that I have seen and moved the A side is the front half (front door side) and the B side is the back half.

I live in a 1980 DW and got one title for both sides. Here in Texas that is all you get.

It will have both numbers on it.
Gary

TWO VIN numbers for a DW??? - Posted by Robin(AZ)

Posted by Robin(AZ) on April 13, 2002 at 11:10:02:

The park I have been working in told my buyer that he needed TWO titles, because there are two VIN numbers on a DW, one for each side of the MH. Has anyone ever heard this before??? I looked in my DOW and MMMH, and couldn’t find any reference to that. Maybe just an Ariz. thing? Or, is the park crazy? I bought the MH from Conseco, so I can go back to them and clear it up, but I’m not sure I even believe it! Motor Vehicles let me take the MH in my name, AND transfer it to my buyer-- and never said anything about only having registered HALF of the MH!!

Thanks!
Robin

Re: TWO VIN numbers for a DW??? - Posted by dandrews

Posted by dandrews on April 13, 2002 at 19:24:30:

I can’t speak to the title question since we are a bill of sale state.

However, I was a new home dealer for a few years. Every new doublewide from any of the factories I ever dealt with had one serial number on the manufactorer on the “manufactorer’s statement of origin.” This serial number always ended with a “A/B.” We always gave one bill of sale, the finance company filed one UCC-1 with the state for their one lien, the town, sent out one tax bill.

Once upon a time, when this was still part of the trailer business (as opposed to mobile homes), they issued license plates and they had to stay on the home. A doublewide had two. (Once in great while you will see a home from the 60’s with plates still attached.) So maybe in those days we issued two bill of sales too, but that was before my time.

I stand corrected. - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on April 13, 2002 at 17:09:43:

I talked with another dealer friend and got a difference response.

According to him, there may be one VIN Number on each home with A/B

Or there may be A and B on the VIN’s that according to him may require two titles.

This may be based upon the age of the home.

So it could go either way it appears.

Tony-VA

Yes, Two VIN numbers for a DW - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on April 13, 2002 at 13:29:13:

There should be two titles for Double Wides. Oddly enough, each half will have a VIN number and should have a corresponding title.

Tony-VA

Let me try this again … - Posted by Jerry Freeman

Posted by Jerry Freeman on April 13, 2002 at 17:57:56:

Does that mean that there might be one title that has A/B next to the VIN to indicate that there are two components to the home …

OR, there might be two titles, with one VIN including the letter “A” and the other including the letter “B”, one title for each half?

I guess it’s not that hard to figure out after all.

Thanks,
Jerry

Huh? (nt) - Posted by Jerry Freeman

Posted by Jerry Freeman on April 13, 2002 at 17:50:18:

Re: Let me try this again … - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on April 13, 2002 at 21:04:41:

Andrew explains it better above as far as the A/B.

It may be an age issue as to the old “A and B” on the VIN.

From the sounds of it, newer double wides will have one VIN ending in A/B indicating it is a double wide and only one title.

Clear as mud?