Typical costs for evictions?? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Bill Gatten on May 31, 1999 at 23:40:47:

Sorry… Gawd!

I thought someone had axed a question.

B

Typical costs for evictions?? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on May 30, 1999 at 13:07:35:

Hello.

I have a 3-unit property in NW Indiana. Unfortunately, I have a non-paying tenant that needs to go. I called up a couple of attorneys in the area and I’m getting quotes of around $300 for their services plus court costs. Is this reasonable? Are there any other services out there to assist landlords in getting rid of bad tenants?

I would attempt to evict on my own, except I’ve never done it before and want to make sure I’m covered every step of the way, at least for the first time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: Typical costs for evictions?? - Posted by SandyFL

Posted by SandyFL on May 31, 1999 at 10:09:36:

Obviously your cost is going to vary from ours.
My atty quoted me $150, but he offers me a discount because I am a repeat customer and we are both members of the local REI Club. The lowest prices will probably be through your PA’s. But they must be competent and do it properly the first time, or the clock is reset and you have to start over again. I am told the most common error which trips up landlords is to misquote the amount the tenant owes, on the 3 day notice. They tell me you can only list the amount of rent they are owing, don’t heap on the late charges etc. If you write this notice incorrectly, they can make you do it over, and waste more of your time.

SandyFL

**P.S. I have never personally done an eviction.
Just trying to share the knoweldge I do have.
Good luck and let us know what happens!

Re: Typical costs for evictions?? - Posted by michael

Posted by michael on May 30, 1999 at 16:54:52:

mike,
Check out the court house where you file for small claims court. They may know some information. When I had to do my first eviction three years ago, I found out that they had a computer kiosh where I was able to print the forms for about $10. It also had video instructions for the process. The cost of the constable and filing fees made the cost itself around $100. It is an educational process and I recommend doing it yourself only if you can do it right. We also have a lawyer referal service in my state where you can consult an attorney for $15 for the first half hour. You can get enough information from him or her to decide what to do.
It is a costly process no matter what. I would try to bribe the tenants to leave first. After looking at the final cost and a lost month’s rent that’s the first best bet.
GOOD LUCK

Re: Typical costs for evictions?? - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on May 30, 1999 at 14:54:47:

Then you could always find a landlord in the area that could step you through the process. You might want to check with Millie I. in Dyer to see how close together you are.

Re: Typical costs for evictions?? - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on May 30, 1999 at 13:37:30:

This fee sounds quite reasonable to me, though everything that happens out of California always sounds reasonable to me. Nonetheless, the key is to get a break-down of contingencies…what actual worse-case fees could be.

For example: Our law firm (and we don’t recommend them for evictions) charges $125 for Constructive Delivery (3 attempts and posting) of a 3-Day Notice to Pay or Quit and the Eviction Notice; and another $395 for most eviction actions. However, such actions can also include some or all of the following, entailing additional costs and fees:

Preparation of Summons and Complaint
Filing of the Complaint
Prove-Up
Research and Preparation for trial (UDT hearing)
Court Filing Fees
Petition for Relief From Stay in Bankruptcy
Marshall’s Lockout.
Travel and Per Diem, if the case is in other than L.A. County

We find that independent professional eviction services are the most reasonable, because there are so many of them that they have to stay competitive. And, too, they often tend to take a more hands-on approach to removing the bad guy (e.g., shaven heads, varigated teeth, purple sun glasses, Harleys, leather jackets with bulges over the left breast, garlic breath, etc).

Good luck.

Bill

WOW! - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on May 31, 1999 at 12:37:39:

“charges $125 for Constructive Delivery (3 attempts and posting) of a 3 day notice”

I paid $25 for that a couple weeks ago. Of course that wasn’t with a lawyer, it was with a NOLO Press form and a licensed process server, but my lawyer had quoted me pretty much the same price for a 3-day notice, I think it was $10 to fill it out and $25 to serve it.

BG