Update: To all who complained about the flipping article, it worked - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Matt B on April 06, 2000 at 10:27:36:

Yeah, no kidding. I still don’t see how the general public would see that as any different from the original story. Perhaps this editor still doesn’t completely understand what we’ve been trying to explain to him.

Update: To all who complained about the flipping article, it worked - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on April 05, 2000 at 22:12:34:

the editor changed the follow-up story in response to
our complaints, check out Inman | Real Estate News for Realtors and Brokers
18374&cattype=IC (whew!, what a mouthful).

I don’t think it worked at all - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on April 06, 2000 at 11:46:56:

By him saying that the property is resold at inflated prices it sounds more like the price is a rip off. To me it sounds like he just restated that the flipping of properties always involves inflating the price higher than it is really worth.

Editor could have done better - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on April 06, 2000 at 10:05:16:

The editor could have done better. To quote from the article:

“Property flipping involves buying property and reselling it at inflated prices.”

By that reasoning, running a hardware store involved buying hammers and paint and selling them at inflated prices. I spent 15 years in retail, and 100% markup was the norm.

BG

Re: Update: To all who complained about the flipping article, it worked - Posted by Jack-NY

Posted by Jack-NY on April 06, 2000 at 04:59:28:

I was one to send a nasty letter to the editor, he did respond and made note of clearing up the problem. It’s nice to know that there are people out there who keep an eye open for these type of things. Last year we had a new green codes man stop by our park and say that he could issue a stop work order for not having permits on the mobile home we were working on. I stopped him in his tracks and asked for proof of the local code that said such a thing, as we didnt need permits because the work we were conducting fell under general construction repairs which is part of the business. Anyway he couldnt provide any paperwork and we never seen him again, a week later I spoke to the main codes man and he stated that he was sorry and this guy was new to the job. It goes to show we need to speak our piece when we are right. Thanks…