Vacant... Deseased Owner... Now What? - Posted by Nick O

Posted by michaela-ATL on September 12, 2003 at 19:37:04:

but then a ‘deseased owner’ would only be a sick owner, whereas a ‘deceased owner’ would preferrably no longer occupy the home :wink:

michaela

Vacant… Deseased Owner… Now What? - Posted by Nick O

Posted by Nick O on September 12, 2003 at 12:28:43:

I found a vacant house about 3 months and within that time I’ve mailed a certified letter (came back), talked to neibors, searched all over the net, searched white pages, checked obits, called tax assesor and she said that they think the owner is desease and still have not recieved anything yet. If the guy is deseased which I think is the case what is the next step to finding the executor if I can’t find any info on this guy even in the obits???
Thanks,
Nick O

Re: Vacant… Deseased Owner… Now What? - Posted by Jerry Martin NC

Posted by Jerry Martin NC on September 12, 2003 at 19:55:25:

Here the clerk of court handles probate. Perhaps you could check there.

Re: Vacant… Deseased Owner… Now What? - Posted by Dave

Posted by Dave on September 12, 2003 at 13:57:59:

Try using www.deadleads.com. They should be able to assist in locating the owners for you. I used them last week and was impressed with what they were able to come up with.

Re: Vacant… Deseased Owner… Now What? - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on September 12, 2003 at 13:48:21:

Nick O----------------

You could also look in the probate court to see if there is a probate case open.

Talk some more to the neighbors and anybody else you can find who might know something about the person and his family, relatives, etc. You are looking for heirs with whom you can deal. Ask about where s/he was employed, so you can talk to people there.

Check the county land records to be sure that there is not loan or lien against the property. If there is some small lien or loan, try to buy it at a discount from the face value then do a foreclosure sale on it.

Look in the Social Security death records. You can find them online for free at a lot of places.

Check around at the nursing and retirement homes for him/her being a resident there. Call the public guardians office and ask if they are handling any financial matters for the owner.

If, after diligent ssarching, you can find that the property owner is dead and there seem to be no known heirs, you can just aggressively take over the property and start making money with it. This is called “adverse possession.” YOu should study up on that topic in your state laws before you start doing it. In some states you don’t even have to have “color of title,” which means you don’t have to have any poor deed or other transfer of the property document. It is called “by right of possesion.” You just start paying the taxes and running the porperty.

You rent the property out and enjoy the cash flow. Pay the taxes. Probably would be good to get insurance. There may be some question whether you have an “insurable interest” in the property. Keep asking around, you will find some insurance person to help you out.

Many years later, after the appropriate statute of limitation for adverse possession, you can get a dded by doing a quiet title action/adverse possession lawsuit. If you don’t want to own it that long, you can sell you adverse possessor interest to some other invsetor if you can find one who is willing to be in your position. They “tack” on your ownership period to theirs to meet the adverse possession period.

Good Investing**********Ron Starr**************

Re: Vacant… Deseased Owner… - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on September 12, 2003 at 12:45:11:

Vacant… Deseased Owner… Well that is a good thing… can you imagine if he was still occupying the property…? Whoooo.

There is no requirement to have an Obituary, but there is to have a Death Cert… So search the county records, “Bureau of Vital Statistics”, in the county where he died. On the Death Cert it will name a next of kin, as well as the Mortician who handled the arrangements, however slight they may have been. If you contact the Funeral Director, many times you will be surprised at how much info they will give provide, as long as you address this properly. I have had a few where the F.D. was still owed monies from the funeral… and they will tell you what color sox they buried the guy in, if they think it will help collect some $$$ for them. In fact, I have been successful at facilitating the payoff of several Cert Judgments for unpaid funerals…

Anyway, look both spots… and maybe you will find what you are seeking.

JT-IN

That’s a top 10… - Posted by Randy

Posted by Randy on September 12, 2003 at 19:00:48:

Vacant… Deseased Owner… Well that is a good thing… can you imagine if he was still occupying the property…? Whoooo.

Thats a TOP 10 out of context…

This site rules… Thanks Guys! - Posted by Nick O

Posted by Nick O on September 12, 2003 at 18:56:30:

>