Vacant house search - Posted by QuestionMan

Posted by d.henderson on May 07, 1999 at 07:39:05:

I know people in the post office(mail carriers), ups, police, pizza delivery anyone that constantly drives. Tell them the same as the above post. You pay if you close. Some really don’t care about the money. (?) they just like to talk and want to do you a favor. Everyone helps.
Freedom through RE investing.
dee-texas

Vacant house search - Posted by QuestionMan

Posted by QuestionMan on May 06, 1999 at 21:56:10:

What is the quickest way for me to locate vacant houses? I have found some just riding around but there must be a better way. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Vacant house search - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on May 07, 1999 at 11:29:50:

A couple of tips when you or someone you pay goes looking. Do the drive by on garbage days. Houses that are vacant do not put out garbage cans/containers. No garbage, lawns in need of mowing, closed blinds, red tags(our area) on electric meters make houses yell “Come buy me.” Want some exercise; get on your bike and ride the area. Or walk it and put out door hangers while noteing the possible vacants.

Re: Birddog ad. - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on May 07, 1999 at 10:51:58:

I occasionally run the following ad:

1 CALL = $500!
I buy houses in any condition. If you
refer me to a vacant house I buy, I’ll
GIVE YOU $500! 555-5555

I’ve usually run the ad for four weeks in the local pennysaver, and have had good results. The idea is to get the whole city looking for vacant houses for you. Neighbors usually don’t like vacant houses on their block. My answering machine message tells them that if they are the “first” one to refer, and I buy, they get the money.

Stacy

Re: Vacant house search - Posted by LeBaron (KS)

Posted by LeBaron (KS) on May 07, 1999 at 24:36:19:

Yeah there is a better way…have someone do the driving around for you! Tell everyone you come in contact with about what you are doing. Let them know that you are looking for vacant houses and offer them a finders fee ($100 to $500). Now of course you let them know that they receive this finders fee if you close on the house they provided.

This is a good way to increase your eyes and ears. Does it work? Well I had a lady email me a couple of days ago with 5 vacant houses she ran across. I haven’t had any response from the owners yet, but I now have 5 more chances to land a deal that I otherwise wouldn’t have had and through no labor of my own.

Again, just let everyone know what you are doing and let them channel properties to you! Good luck!

LeBaron (KS)

Good Advice! - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on May 07, 1999 at 12:45:38:

Reminds me of the old one I heard. This doesn’t work on master-metered apartment complexes, but when someone tells you they have no vacancy or whatever, you can find out.

Just go to the building and go to the electric meters. Count the ones that are off. That will tell you how much vacancy there is at that building.

Sellers have been known to lie.