VOTE: How many uses a 'company name' and how many uses their name in real estate investing?? - Posted by Scott

Posted by rayrick on April 06, 1999 at 15:10:48:

I think the take home message that one should get from the fact that so many successful people are using different approaches and getting results is that it ALL works. As has been said many times before, it’s not some magic wording of marketing materials that produces the results, it’s the fact that some sort of material is reaching the sellers at all. If it catches them at the right time, you’ve got yourself a deal.

-Ray

VOTE: How many uses a ‘company name’ and how many uses their name in real estate investing?? - Posted by Scott

Posted by Scott on April 06, 1999 at 08:34:04:

How many uses a ‘company name’ and how many uses their name in real estate investing??

Please post here.

Scott

Corp Name, Hey I only work here - Posted by Mark R in KCMO

Posted by Mark R in KCMO on April 07, 1999 at 17:58:42:

I use a corporate name for several reasons.

1. Buying / Selling guidelines are set by the corp office.

2. Reputation that I want to build is the Corp Not Personal. (Hey I don’t want no stinkin’ J-O-B)

3. The protection that the corp provides.

Hope this helps
Mark R in KCMO

Company name all the way. - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on April 06, 1999 at 18:02:19:

Although, I let them know I am just a small “mom and pop” company. Your talk and your walk, JPiper calls it “stance”, show them that you know your stuff.

I wouldn’t want to advertise that I am Mr. BigBucks Company with all the real estate holdings in the county, but at the same time I don’t want someone to try and pierce my corporate veil because I acted on my own behalf and not my companies. I shoot for somewhere in the middle.

My Vote: Company Name - Posted by Ben

Posted by Ben on April 06, 1999 at 16:46:56:

For anyone with any significant assets (or who plans to have significant assets) which is all of us, business should always be conducted in a corporate name for legal liability purposes. A lawsuit which results in a judgment against you personally can result in your wages being garnished, your bank accounts being levied, your personally property being seized by the Sheriff, etc. For that “down home feel”, it’s just not worth it.

Re: VOTE: How many uses a ‘company name’ and how many uses their name in real estate investing?? - Posted by rayrick

Posted by rayrick on April 06, 1999 at 12:30:57:

Are you asking about marketing or about document signing? If it’s marketing you’re after, there was an interesting thread a ways back about “down home” versus professional company. Widely divergent views on that point. Joe Kaiser, who claims to have tried and tested most every approach you can think of, goes with the li’l ol’ me approach, that is, “I’m just a guy who wants to buy/LO/etc. your house.” No big company, no big program. I’ve talked to a number of other very successful investors who use the “we’re an experienced and professional organization” approach. Which is best?
Ya’ got me!

-Ray

Two votes company … - Posted by HankM

Posted by HankM on April 06, 1999 at 09:52:26:

Contract always in a company name, title taken (or not) to fit the situation … corp itself if a rehab with quick horizon. Single member LLC as beneficiary of Land Trust holding the property if it’s a keeper.

One vote for company name - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on April 06, 1999 at 09:39:32:

The contract is signed with the company name. Title is taken in the name of the land trust. The benficiary is not public.

Re: VOTE: How many uses a ‘company name’ and how many uses their name in real estate investing?? - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on April 06, 1999 at 14:56:08:

Ray,

I don’t think it really matters which approach you use. I think what is more important is that a person gets out there and lets it be known they are an investor.

On my business card it says “QUICK CASH for your house”
then my name and number.

Nothing fancy, but it gets my point accross. I think the message is more important than who is saying it.

Just a thought,

Tim Jensen