Wainscoting Alternative Suggestions Welcome

Had a call from a friend who bought a doublewide that has had the copper wiring stolen from it. The questions he asked and that I am passing along for suggestionss is the repair of the wall board that was cut out by the thieves in order to get at the wiring.

Some of the old mobile home drywall is in place and is missing in other places.

The idea is to create a wainscoting type fix to make these repairs.

Please post some ideas on material you have used that have held up to the “landord friendly” standards I seek.

Things like affordable paneling, maybe drywall, luan over existing but damaged drywall but what to do about entirely missing sections, marlite (I guess that is what Mike Scarbrough calls it) that white, glossy like paneling and whatever else you can recommend

I believe Steve-WA might have posted something on this topic in the past so maybe he can join in with suggestions but I hope others will do so also.

Thanks,

Tony

geez, anything would work as a coverup. I would not use marlite in living areas - too shiny, too bathroom-ie, but kitchen or bath would be fine. I have used real wood beadboard - pita to stain, but looks best. you could use paneling if you can get a good price, or even thin drywall, vinyl-covered or not. Lowes carries a hard foam trim piece that is about 1-1/4 wide that has a notch to sit right on top of the width of paneling. Luan? meh - I like the look of the beadboard with the lines. They DO carry a white beadboard that is the compressed paper or whatever, like the marlite, and it looks supah-snazzie when topped with a trim piece.

Now LL-friendly - I guess you could rip your 1x2s like homemade baseboard, and then drop your table saw blade down to cut a notch for the top trim piece, but then you have priming and painting or staining, so do you really save any money when compared with the time? Your call.

Here’s an idea of the cross section of this top trim piece I am talking about:

Wow,
Did they actually cut out the wall board to get at the wiring. Our thieves just bash the outlet box out of the wall, grab, and pull hard. The wire rips right through the drywall then snip, snip when it won’t come any farther.

If wire mold (the stuff like conduit that sits on the surface of the wall) were cheap, it would be a landlord friendly repair to have all the wiring on the surface for the next thief, no wall repairs! Plus he gets to scrap the wire mold for .05 cents a ton. Gotta help out the unemployed folks no longer counted in government figures.

I would use luan as a wainscot. Run it 24" high, 8 feet horizontally. Trim the joints with 1" strips of luan. caulk the top edge or trim as Steve(WA) suggests. Advantage over beadboard: When they scrape the hell out of it, it is easier to repair with drywall mud than beadboard. Advantage over 1/4 drywall layover: More resistant to scratches also more sturdy for elec boxes to hang onto.

I’m thinking most landlord friendly: “Protect your soul! Live the Amish way in one of our electric-free mobile homes.”

Steve

[QUOTE=Dr B(OH);882782]

I’m thinking most landlord friendly: “Protect your soul! Live the Amish way in one of our electric-free mobile homes.”

Steve[/QUOTE]

Maybe we could really cut costs and convince them that OSB subflooring is the new “hardwood flooring” and that the bear stud walls are really prestine, post and beam construction that is all the rage in mobile homes now!

Tony

[QUOTE=Tony Colella;882784]bear (sic) stud walls are really prestine, post and beam construction that is all the rage in mobile homes now!

Tony[/QUOTE]

BBBBBRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrRRRRRR!!!