Want John Beck Informercial Material - Posted by Ronald Starr

Posted by Ronald Starr on March 19, 2001 at 01:26:30:

Opps, I missed this message before. I had another with the same heading.

John Beck has not been doing seminars much. He told me he is having good success with investing at Texas Tax Sales. He was even talking about moving there. As far as I know he is still in Alameda now.

If you look, you’ll see another post about my buying in OK and TX. I went there once a year for a couple of years and expect at least two trips this year.

I also buy properties in Sacramento, three during the past 9 months.

As far as contracts go, I use a one-page one customized to the particular deal when I can. I use the Professional Publishing one if I need a long one. One property I used the CAR form because it was listed with an agent. One deal I sent the seller a short one and he complained it was too short. So I sent him a CAR long one. When the deal closed he had never signed either of them! But I’m now the owner, since he signed the title company’s escrow instructions. A little peculiar, but then when you pay $110K for a $160K property, I guess you’ve good to expect the sellers to be a little out of the ordinary.

I sometimes go to the Bay Area Investors Educational Services seminars, first Tuesday evenings at the Marine’s Memorial Hotel on Bush Street, S. Fran. I don’t go all the time because of travels and repetition of speakers.

I do not buy personally at trustee sales in CA or any other state. I occassionally buy there for a professional foreclosure investor. The sales in the immediate S. F. Bay Area typically get 15 and more bidders, making it hard to get a good deal. Recently the IRS had a U.S. Marshall’s sale in Oakland of a house in a good part of town. There were about 100 of us registed to bid. Of course, got bid up.

From the posting of others here at CREONLINE and INVESTORNET.COM/TAXLIENS, it sounds like other states are better even for taxsale buying. CA taxsales seem to have lots of bidders and high prices for good improved properties. There may still be some bargains for land or lot sales. Two decent houses sold in the Sacramento sale this year for $46K and $47K, both in Oak Park, a poor part of City of Sacto. The $46K one I estimated was worth $75K to $85K, the $47K one about $50K. This month in Stanislaus County a very nice house in a good part of Modesto sold for $330K, more than we wanted to pay. A local broker estimated it to be worth about $425K-$450K, although the comparable sales I looked at suggested more like $500K. In CA taxsales, good improved properties seem to usually go for 60 - 75% of market value these days. Not like the good old days, sigh.

Well, Good Investing, Ron *

Want John Beck Informercial Material - Posted by Ronald Starr

Posted by Ronald Starr on March 13, 2001 at 22:20:05:

John Beck, CA attorney, had an infomercial on TV for a while, offering material on buying tax lien certificates. I would like to get a copy of the material that was sold. I prefer to buy and own it. But, lacking that, would accept a “rental” loan and return it after studying it. I asked Mr. Beck directly for a copy and he said he did not have one he could provide. I seem to have trouble with my e-mail sometimes, so a call to my phone would be more certain to get to me. My FREE NUMBER IS (877) 327-9735. I will also check on possible responses on this forum in a couple of days. Thanks for your help. Ron Starr

Re: Want John Beck Informercial Material - Posted by Julius Levai

Posted by Julius Levai on March 16, 2001 at 24:28:15:

Hello Ron ! Finally…even Youre showing up ! We need You here ! I rather read your comments then Russ whatshisname super-duper-guhru Whitneys. To your credit; I have purchased some properties from You, and they where good deals, pleasant surprise… On John Becks material; That was offered today on TV for 39.95 (sorry J.P.) 800 652-1188. I didnt say nothin… Julius Levai

Are you the Ronald Starr… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on March 14, 2001 at 10:38:27:

who worked and wrote with John Beck? If so you must have many insights into the tas sale business and Mr. Beck. You’re also mentioned in a John Reed book too.

Look in our Online Catalog… - Posted by J.P. Vaughan

Posted by J.P. Vaughan on March 13, 2001 at 22:57:02:

Here’s the link:

http://www.creonline.com/c-127.htm

Re: Want John Beck Informercial Material - Posted by Ron Starr

Posted by Ron Starr on March 19, 2001 at 01:39:24:

Thanks Julius:
I posted that message before searching John Beck’s name on this website. After searching, I found several posting with several different 800 numbers. The first one put me on interminable hold. The second took my order on the phone. I hope to get the material soon. Never called the other four or five. Could they all be legitimate? Or are people ripping off the telamarketers by getting a copy of the material and selling duplicates cheap? The one I bought from claimed to be legitimate.

Yes, those were good Sacramento, CA properties I sold you – you and your wife took the best two of the four I offered. I’ve still got the other two. Went down in value during the '90s, now going up again. Probably about time to refinance, now that interest rates are low.

Good Investing, Ron *

Re: Are you the Ronald Starr… - Posted by Ronald Starr

Posted by Ronald Starr on March 15, 2001 at 01:24:32:

Yes, I guess my secret identity has been exposed. I favor tax sales. Lately in CA the prices typically seem too high for me. A couple of years ago John Beck excited me when he spoke at a S.Fran R. E. investors group on TX and OK tax sales, just before he did his “Free and Clear” infomercial. I hurried over to OK and Texas, bought one OK tax resale property (Detailed in John Reed’s newsletter about a year ago). Last year I bought another OK tax resale property and a Waco TX tax sale property. Latter was a small but nice house in a bad part of town. I was the only bidder and got it for ~$5K. Got one months $295 rent when the former owner redeemed – it had been an REO of a mortgage company. Did get the 25% penalty on my investment which pretty much paid for my trip to OK and TX. I plan to go to June OK resales this year and maybe hit the June TX taxsales again. As a bonus, I can make the Starr family reunion in Palestine, TX, on June 3 I was to the one two years ago. I wanted to get John Beck’s materials because he is always thinking and analyzing and then passes on his thoughts. Ditto with John T. Reed. My view is you find an approach that you like so that you will keep going until you reach your financial goals – which is probably going to be at least a decade to reach. When you find a way you like to invest, figure out how to continually do better. I think the Japanese call it Keretsu – constant small improvements. I keep looking for new ideas to improve. For beginners in Tax Sale investing, I suggest reading the state law on tax sales in the state in which you want to invest. Then get out there and do it. My company name is UGO which stands for both Unlimited Golden Opportunities and U Go Out there and do it.

Re: Look in our Online Catalog… - Posted by Ronald Starr

Posted by Ronald Starr on March 13, 2001 at 23:51:32:

Thanks. After posting my message I found all the discussion about John Beck’s “Free and Easy” course in past months. I read them all. Very Helpful to me. Thanks for the reference to number 127. I probably don’t need any more help now.

Re: Are you the Ronald Starr… - Posted by Rob

Posted by Rob on March 16, 2001 at 01:59:04:

Hi Ron:

I live in the bay area and just learning about creative real estate investing. I heard many people talk about you. Good things that is.

I am wondering can you tell me what kind of contract do you use to buy? RE Sale and Purchase Agreement, your own contracts, or others?

Is John Beck still giving the regular weekend seminars?
I notice that he is more into promoting the tax sale seminars these days. Also he is cutting down on the learning Annex appearances. Do you attend any of the bay area investment clubs? Do you buy at the foreclosure auctions?

Rob

You are a guru and modest… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on March 15, 2001 at 08:03:33:

how refreshing! You have written investment books, courses, and articles. I too am always looking for some small nugget of knowledge or an expansion to my data base even for activities that I have been doing for 25 years, like real estate investment. I had met John Beck when he was teaching a course and another investor and I had lunch with him. The knowledge just poured out from him, and his easy going and down to earth manner was evident. Good Luck to you.
David Krulac