Water heater - Posted by john

Posted by Ryan (NC) on March 25, 2006 at 07:48:57:

John,

With a bigger ticket item like this you did the right thing IMHO, these folks could not live without hot water for very long… The end result had you not stepped in is that you would have had some very unhappy folks or a vacant unit needing a hot water heater. We explain to our L/O folks that THEY are responsible for all repairs but if a big ticket item brakes we will step in and help them and add the cost to the contract if they can’t cover the cost, very few of our folks seem able to adjust to making a repair that cost more than a couple hundred bucks.

All-in-all you created a sweet little note, made a couple bucks and your buyer will remain happy. The only thing I’d add for future reference is that the price you’re being charged to make this repair seems high to me! A 40-gallon MH water heater cost around 190 here and I can get it installed by Lowes for something like 125 (if memory serves) or it takes less than an hour to do yourself.

Best wishes,
Ryan Needler

Water heater - Posted by john

Posted by john on March 25, 2006 at 07:00:25:

I am looking for some guidance here, one of my units had the water heater go out about 4 weeks ago, The owner has not had it repaired yet, So I stepped up and offered to replace it, my cost will be about $470.00 so we agreed that she would pay me $700.00 flat fee (She price checked around and found it would cost her $850.00), payable in $100.00 increments for 7 consecutive month. Did I charge too much, too little or should I not even get into this kind of lending. It all seemed like a good idea to me.