What a freeking roller-coaster. (long) - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by SusanL.–FL on June 14, 2000 at 08:56:37:

to my (hard-of hearing) Grandmother one day when she (unexpectedly) walked thru the door and stepped in front of the target!!!

All I can say is, let your imagination BE YOUR GUIDE!

My brothers and I STILL laugh about that when someone mentions it!

(wharped sense 'o humor, I guess…) :-)))))

What a freeking roller-coaster. (long) - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on June 11, 2000 at 18:54:31:

I have a house I just bought, and I was over there all day Saturday to do some minor prehab. Every house I buy that needs some fixup, I first try to sell at a “discount” price to a ‘sweat equity’ type of person before I do any major upgrades, to try to get out quicker.

Well, all this house really needed before trying a pre-rehab sale, was a dishwasher, some bathroom and kithen cleaning, some A/C repair, and a little yard work. I put an ad in the paper to run yesterday and today, descibing the house (on my answering system) and that I was having an open house today at 1 to 5 PM.

After I finished yesterday at 5PM, I was in a hurry to get home to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. In my haste, I left all my tools and my briefcase, of all things. I thought to myself, it should be safe for one night. What are the odds someone would pick tonight, my ANNIVERSARY after all, to burglarize this vacant house?

Well, I celebrated like it was 1999 last night. What a blast. Then this morning I went to the house to finish a few things before the open house. Yep. A pipe wrench to twist the two deadbolts was all it took for these guy’s to get into the garage, then into the house. Probably took 5 minutes.

Ever notice how helpless you are without credit cards, debit card, Driver’s License, etc? And those tools will probably cost me $1500 to $2000 to replace.

Then it got strange. As I was giving the police a report, a woman walked into the house, made her way around, and after eventually spending aboout an hour with her, she agreed to ALL OF MY TERMS. The first buyer.

I can’t take it anymore.

(smile)

Stacy

Help! Get me off this thing! - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on June 13, 2000 at 24:28:56:

As if the events of this weekend, and the “jovial” conversations with my insurance agent weren’t enough fun…

A water pipe burst sometime last night. Every piece of carpet and pad is now ripped out, and the emergency flood crew will be there 'till 2AM. Then it’s 14 fans running 24hrs for three days. I hope it all comes out OK.

Surreal. I could have sworn I heard the “click” of my insurance agent affixing his silencer, and now I’ve got a strange feeling I’m really Tom Hanks, and Shelly Long is my wife.

Havin’ fun, here…

Stacy

A Preventive Step - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on June 12, 2000 at 09:26:05:

I’ve been installing security systems in some locations during the fix-up phase. My concern isn’t just tools. What about some of that new stuff you just installed? Or just simple vandalism?

Once installed, I use the security system as an added feature to the house. Brinks will allow the system to be “assumed”…without ongoing liability. If the new buyer doesn’t want the system, it can be “moved” to the next place (they don’t physically move it), but your contract for service is moved to the next place. My understanding is that ADT also does this.

A security system isn’t 100% fullproof…but it is a deterrent.

JPiper

Possibly consider an insurance claim… - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on June 12, 2000 at 08:29:26:

You would be surprised at how FAST the items can $add$ up [tools, new briefcase, wallet (if there was one)]. Even with a $500 deductible, you’d be able to recoup at least some of your losses.

DARN shame though. Been there, done that (also).

We were getting a SFH ready for rental. Had all our ‘stuff’ (light bulbs, towel paper, paint, drop cloths, etc.) locked up in the laundry room off the carport. ALL gone the next morning. Even though it is nick-nacky type ‘stuff’, it STILL adds up to have to run out and replace it all. From then on, we just lugged it back and forth to the property. A real pain.

Many times, “they’re” just sittin’ there waiting for us to finish up for the day b/4 they move in for ‘the kill’.

Just goes with the territory!

Congrats on the first anniversary. PARTY HARDY mah friend! :slight_smile:

Also, congrats on the buyer who came out of the woodwork. ‘SOMEONE’ was watching out for you!

Susan

Sorry for your loss… glad for your sale… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on June 12, 2000 at 05:12:06:

and the loss tools/etc can be deducted from the gains of the house, if there is a silver lining.

Re: What a freeking roller-coaster. (long) - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on June 11, 2000 at 21:46:10:

Check with your insurance agent… could be that your brief case was covered under your home owners policy. My agent said that my trailer, full of tools, is covered !

Laure :slight_smile:

Congrats - and I’m sorry to hear that!!! :slight_smile: (nt) - Posted by George(OH)

Posted by George(OH) on June 11, 2000 at 20:44:12:

nt

Re: What a freeking roller-coaster. (long) - Posted by PBoone

Posted by PBoone on June 11, 2000 at 20:00:11:

Stacy,
Congratulations on the 1st, and many more to come.
We have been hit just like you, as if someone around the corner know this is the only time you will leave the tools. I wanted to choke someone!!!
The sale helps I’M sure
Pat

Re: What a freeking roller-coaster. (long) - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on June 11, 2000 at 19:40:44:

I hope you covered your tools on the price you quoted her !!!

Listen, in this business, we don’t know when we have a right to be disappointed or when we should jump for joy. Perfect case in point.

I have seen it happen lots of times where the best deal was the one I NEVER did. And I didn’t know that at the time, but I sure found out later.

Re: What a freeking roller-coaster. (long) - Posted by Bob Selby

Posted by Bob Selby on June 11, 2000 at 19:00:20:

I dont know whether to console you or congradulate you :slight_smile:

Bob,

http://www.metro-homes.net

I agree with you, Jim… - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on June 12, 2000 at 20:46:22:

Jim,

I put alarms now in everything I purchase (except flips, of course). My alarm man has been hardwiring the system in for $395.00. It includes 2 doors, a window, a motion decector, siren, and keypad. Monitoring is only $20/month, and can be cancelled at any time.

I find my buyers and tenants love it. I love it in that it definately deters MOST crime. I say most, because it has not done the job well in this very inner city rehab. I’ve got an alarm, and it still didn’t prevent break-ins for three consecutive weekends. Know what did? Burglar bars. Go figure. Seems so obvious now, but it will now be my rule of course in lower class neighborhoods to install burglar bars after putting in the new windows (which are replacing the wooden frames stolen for a few crack $$$; no joke). So Willy, I know the kind of hood you frequent, and burglar bars and the alarm has worked well for me. No breakins now. Thank God: it was beginning to get difficult to sleep on weekends.

Cheers,

HR

Re: A Preventive Step - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on June 12, 2000 at 17:33:05:

Thanks for the idea, Jim. I essence, you pay a small fee for installation ($100?), and from that point forward you pay a monthly fee? How much, for example?

Then, you either assign the monthly contract to the buyers, if they want it, or just continue to pay monthly while it’s not being used? Then whenever your next rehab is ready, you have a system installed there, and use the contract you have open?

Sure sounds good.

Stacy

GREAT idea, Jim! - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on June 12, 2000 at 15:22:16:

Security Link also has this ‘provision’. HOWEVER! I don’t recommend them 'cause I’ve seen them in action (in my OWN house) and they are WORSE than the Keystone Kops! No kidding! :slight_smile:

Every once in a while I get a bill from them for service I no LONGER have. The town on the bill is ‘Sarasota’ and I live in Bradenton—figure THAT one out!

Agree with Mr. Piper… - Posted by Scotty

Posted by Scotty on June 12, 2000 at 12:09:49:

Edison, the power company, out in California has expanded into home and business security as a result of deregulation. Supposedly they are nationwide, but I don’t know the extent of the coverage. They have better equipment than either ADT or Brinks, and install the system for free rather than the $49/$99/$? programs the others have. You can transfer the contract to the new owner, pay it as an incentive to the new owner, or you can keep the contract and keep rolling it to new properties since they will continue to install new systems in subsequent properties as well.

While no security measure is foolproof nothing else comes close to the level of protection a monitored security system offers. That includes burglar bars, dogs, guns, deadbolts, etc. Statistics show houses with such systems are forty times less likely to be broken into than unprotected houses. When they have criminals on the talk shows they all confirm if there is a security system they pretty much go elsewhere. If they do break in, I know Edison has a program where they cover the deductible on any insurance claim as well. The system can be configured to watch for fire also and call the fire department if there is one. Great feature for a vacant house.

It doesn’t cost you anything to get the system put in, and in fact it makes you money. I’ve confirmed with an appraiser that adding this type of system will add $1000-$1500 to the appraised value of the typical $150,000 home. Doesn’t really matter what company you call, but call someone and get a system put in.

Re: AMEN, brother. nt - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on June 11, 2000 at 20:59:43:

Burglar Bars… - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on June 13, 2000 at 08:43:38:

HR:

Did you have to have your bars ‘custom made’ or did you find a set already made?

I tried to find someone to do a set for me in town and didn’t have any luck.

(I inherited a substantial part of my Dad’s antique gun collection and I want to secure the room before I display them. Right now, most of them are locked up in our closet safe.)

(My own personal arsenal!)

Thanx!

One More Thing… - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on June 12, 2000 at 20:19:30:

You’ll also have to have phone service at the property because that’s how the signal goes to the central monitoring point. What I’ve done is just run the line…no phone. So that charge is beyond the cost of the security system.

JPiper

Re: A Preventive Step - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on June 12, 2000 at 20:02:30:

Initial installation seems to range from about $100-$200 depending on exactly what you install. I’ve generally gone for devices on each door, and an interior motion detector in a central place.

The monthly fee in my area is about $25 for ADT and $27 for Brinks. This hooks the system up to their central monitoring…when the alarm goes off they call the police. There’s also an alarm for fire that you can get.

The system along with monitoring can then be assigned to your buyer. All the buyers I have dealt with wanted to do this. In fact, all of the buyer’s have felt it was an advantage to having the security system already installed…it was a good selling point.

But if the buyer didn’t want the system it can be “moved”. Move in their parlance means they disconnect the monitoring, but they leave the equipment installed. They will reinstall new equipment at the next house and move the monthly monitoring fee to that house. If I remember correctly they will reinstall the same equipment for no charge…or very little charge. You keep paying the monthly installation though since it’s on a contract until it’s assigned or until the contract terminates.

It’s a nominal cost, and I think is a good deterrent.

JPiper

Be advised… - Posted by Scotty

Posted by Scotty on June 13, 2000 at 23:10:29:

Burglar bars are easily removed with something as simple as a car jack. While they may discourage, don’t count on them to really protect anything of value…much less a nice gun collection.