What did you learn in 2013 and how will 2014 be?

Now is the time to reflect.

What surprised you this year, what worked great and what were some challenges you encountered?

The market changed quite a bit with foreclosure inventory way down.

Rental market was strong through the whole year.

We start 2014 off facing the new Dodd-Frank bill which will change our ability to sell with seller financing.

How about you?

Jim

Thought you should know

In my area, things have changed. I commented a while back about higher prices for rental property. I mostly buy and hold cheap rental properties. IN 2011 and 2012 we bought 13 units each year, but in 2013 I bought only 1 house and 1 small duplex. That may seem like not enough but the cheap house market in my area has dried up some. Prices are up and harder to find real deals. A major issue that I have is cashflow. I have been buying houses for a little over ten years. I currently own 58 units(mostly sfr’s)

One thing I know:

If you owe money on a significant number of the properties, you better have a lot of cash flow. I have significant equity but still, after you pay the loan payments, taxes, insurance, some utilities, regular maintenance, and then some major renovations each year, it can be hard to make a living off the rentals… Now if you do all the work yourself you would make wages and some extra, but I try to avoid working on them too much. That is the job for handymen and others. I do some small jobs, but I also manage a couple of other businesses(my livelihood) and don’t have time to do everything.

Each year in the next 5-7 years, I have loans paying off and then all properties will be paid for. Then the real joy of owning rentals will be fully realized.

Don’t expect to make a living off mortgaged rentals. Just be content to let the renters pay the bills until the mortgages are paid off.

For 2014 - My largest term note will pay off. Wow $2634.51 per month staying in my pocket. That will be $31,614.12 more cash available to me in 2015. Now what can I buy with that much extra per month…hmmmm.