WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS DEAL? - Posted by SO

Posted by Brian NC on August 06, 2001 at 14:52:26:

You must disclose if you are asked directly about the murder/suicide. (the way it is in NC anyway)

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS DEAL? - Posted by SO

Posted by SO on August 06, 2001 at 13:27:17:

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiance in dealing with a property that has a morbid history attached to it. There is a newer house with 3-5 acres, vacant because of a murder/suicide that happend there last Dec.2000. The bank has foreclosed on the property and the fmv is around $225,000,and probably would go for alot less at a sale. This property is located in a very small town and the “event” made front page headlines and everyone knows about it and what happend. Would this be a good deal? or would it be a tough go trying to move the property with its given history! It would require new carpet in the bedroom since the existing is gone, but the house is in great shape overall. Just curious if anyone has ever dealt with this type of a situation. Would the history of the house have to be disclosed to a potential buyer that may not know the history. The property is located just outside of a major metropolitan area and people are starting to move out to this area. Any thoughts on this would greatly be appreciated!

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS DEAL? - Posted by Sue NJ

Posted by Sue NJ on August 06, 2001 at 21:15:15:

We had a similar incident many years ago where a young girl was brutally stabbed to death in her bedroom. The house did sell eventually but I’m not sure how long it took. I remember thinking that I could never live in a house where someone was murdered. But many people do. There are murders all the time and the homes are repainted and resold. Being in a small town makes it more difficult. You may be able to get an out of town buyer. As far as I know, (in NJ) you only have to disclose problems that are associated with the house, not the people who lived in it. Good luck, Sue

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS DEAL? - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on August 06, 2001 at 15:08:26:

SO, here are some links you may find helpful. First is a link to a question just like yours, and helpful replies:

http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/arc_2000//feb00/59571.html

Next is a good article on “Stigmatized Properties”.

Disclosure is not necessary in all states (unless asked), but you’d need to check your laws/regs.

Stacy

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS DEAL? - Posted by Tom – IN

Posted by Tom – IN on August 06, 2001 at 14:04:31:

Why not flip it upside down and advertise it as a “haunted house bed and breakfast”?

“Are YOU brave enough to spend the night in a famous haunted house?”

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS DEAL? - Posted by so

Posted by so on August 06, 2001 at 14:11:36:

The house is not that old maybe 3-5 years old. Not one of those great big old creepy houses! The family (parents) are still living in the area and that may not go over to well as this is still pretty fresh in their minds! This is in a small town/community where people are tight knit and everyone knows everyone elses business, if it was an old big house, then that would be a good idea but not to sure this one would work on this new of a house.