What I appreciate about mh park residents - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on September 08, 2003 at 20:30:13:

A few years ago I was this close to divorce. I would have had no other alternative than to sell my home and use the equity for a mobile that I would pay cash for… so that the rest of life could stay relatively normal.
I am happy ALMOST all the time that my wife changed her mind.
Ya just never know what life will throw ya.
Philip

What I appreciate about mh park residents - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on September 07, 2003 at 17:48:37:

Even though many people see folks in mh parks as low on the social scale…I don’t. I see even the poor ones as just different and let me tell you why.

They appreciate being out of town. In my area that is where 99 out of 100 parks are located.

These people have some degree of a desire to be Lord of their own Castle…even if it has to be small or inexpensive.

They would rather live with a little autonomy, compared to apartment dwellers and that is good.

Many mh folks do their own work on their homes and are proud of what they have done.

Some of them will actually work hard…where some folks in the “snob hill” part of town are sitting on a pile of “old money” and just growing complacent in their wealth. They are in a 500k home and don’t have the strong individualism of someone in a 2k mobile.

Many of these folks have worked their tail off and just had some bad turns. Some things were avoidable some not. But just the same they get up and go to work knowing they will never have the education or ability to “move on up”.

I am speaking, of course, about a certain part of park residents.

I got more, but this is too long already.
Philip

Re: What I appreciate about mh park residents - Posted by jowns

Posted by jowns on September 08, 2003 at 23:07:25:

I agree, most made mistakes when they were young and now pay for those mistakes by working very hard or low paying jobs.My wife and I bought the worst park in our town fixed the sewer and paved the street and the tenants thank me daily.THEY ARE POOR PEOPLE NOT MEAN PEOPLE.Always remember what you worked your whole life for can be gone in a day.My father taught me to rent property instead of how to hunt , fish or play ball.The most important thing he taught me was compassion (with his actions not his words).Most of my renters live a year on less than what i make in a month. I am 29 years old and own 2 parks (36 spaces total).I bought the first one 8 years ago. The best advice I have for people starting in the rental bus. is TREAT PEOPLE FARE, IF YOU CANT MAKE A PROFIT AND BE FARE TO YOUR RENTERS OR BUYERS FIND ANOTHER JOB!!!. I have had several renters tell visitors “THIS IS MY LANDLORD, HE IS A GREAT GUY”. This feels just as good as the $5000 in rent checks I get each month.

Re: What I appreciate about mh park residents - Posted by ScottS(NC)

Posted by ScottS(NC) on September 08, 2003 at 08:08:58:

Philip,

Excellent analisis I agree totally. These are the same type of folks you find in apartments and other propertys. This is why I am always gripping when people say mobile home renters are bottom of the barrel or will trash out your park. Alot of these folks want to have a little space, rather than be stacked inside appatments. Good post Take Care ScottS(NC)

Re: What I appreciate about mh park residents - Posted by Marty (MO)

Posted by Marty (MO) on September 07, 2003 at 22:16:48:

I like the kids just starting out- they only see the potential of the home and the start in life it may give them.
Also, the single parents determined to make a good life for the family regardless of what the ex does.

Re: What I appreciate about mh park residents - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on September 09, 2003 at 04:48:50:

Very true. I won’t be a charity for thieves, but I tell them to call me,if their is a problem, don’t hide from me…or I will take away your house.
ps - My dad taught me those things but it took me 10 years longer to catch on!
Philip

Posted by Philip on September 08, 2003 at 12:28:15:

I do think many have an independent frame of mind. That is why many will jump at the chance to live in a mobile on an acre or 2. They have a little more space than in a park.
Philip

Posted by Philip on September 07, 2003 at 22:47:47:

I just bought from one and sold to the other of those 2 groups.
Divorced lady, who stood her ground during negotiation, and after I paid her left the house clean.
Then sold to a young couple who are in a 10 year then you are paid off…“deal” from an unscrupulous investor.
They will pay off in 22 months. It is a tiny older home, but for them it solves big financial problems.
Philip

Re: What I appreciate about mh park residents - Posted by Dave Starr (CO)

Posted by Dave Starr (CO) on September 08, 2003 at 20:21:55:

I appreciated the comments from both Phil and Marty. Especially those about single/divorced parents. A lot of folks breeze through here who are well off, or at least better off than they may think. Divorce happens, and it’s seldom good for either party.

I have a buyer who’s a nice divorced lady with three kids and they have a deadbeat dad. He’s always neglecting his obligations, and my buyer, although she works two low-pay jobs, has had her difficulties but always comes through with the note payment. It’s a very nice win-win feeling to know that I’m making a small profit and yet these kids have a roof over thre heads and a furnace that works now that fall is in the air.

There is absolutley nothing low-life about this family or many of the others in that park, just temporarily low-bucks is all.

Incidentally, those who have trouble finding buyers might do well to drop off a business card at local divorce attornies offices. When I went through my own divorce, my guy (a really caring type) was always on the lookout for low buck places for clients who weren’t getting big settlements (or for the losing spouse for those who were getting big settlements) LoL. It’s worth the cost of a business card and the time it takes to stick your head in the lawyer’s office … perhaps leave the card and a one-oage summary of what your business offers with the secretary if it’s a big firm.

Best regards
Dave