What name for my Corporation? - Posted by DahlM

Posted by Wally on September 22, 2004 at 23:08:32:

But some people want a company name that is not descriptive of the service they provide, so they will be able to use that company name for any service.

Wally

What name for my Corporation? - Posted by DahlM

Posted by DahlM on September 20, 2004 at 23:17:01:

I am trying to incorporate an S-Corp for my RE investment actvities. My question has to do with the use of the word “properties” in the name of the corporation.

For example: “XYZ Properties Inc.”

Does the fact that I have the word “properties” in the name reveal too much? Is it wise that the name tells what kind of company it is? Will this auomatically make the IRS look at me as a “dealer”? What do you think?

Some People think it is better for your corporation name to not reveal what kind of business it is such as:

“XYZ Enterprises Inc.”

Does it really matter? Your opinion please. thanks

Re: What name for my Corporation? - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on September 22, 2004 at 22:27:59:

Just thinking out loud.

The IRS is in the automation age. The percentage of electronic returns submitted and checked by computer is rising each year. I don’t think the computer will even notice your company name.

I would think that you might want a company name that is descriptive of your service, product, or business activity. By way of example, when I was looking in the telephone book and newspaper classifieds for a property management company, the name ‘Property Management People’ jumped out at me.

On the other hand, I just signed a property management agreement with a company called ‘Chicora Development’. It took me a little time to notice this management company because their name was not terribly descriptive of the service I was looking for. If it weren’t for four strong referrals, I might still be looking.