Who pays for Condo damage? - Posted by Raiko

Posted by Bud Branstetter on March 09, 2000 at 09:09:57:

I was wondering why you say that damage caused by the plumbing or roof leaks are not the responsibility of homeowner assoc. I have talked with several attorneys that feel it would be.

Who pays for Condo damage? - Posted by Raiko

Posted by Raiko on March 07, 2000 at 17:36:24:

I have a condominium in southern California that is a rental. The hot water pipe under the slab broke and flooded the unit. It was my impression that I owned only the airspace in the unit and that the rest is considered common area. If this is the case then I would assume that the Association should pay for the plumber and the damage incurred. The Association property manager, however, thinks that since the break occured under my unit that I am responsible for all costs to repair. Does anyone know which view is correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Who pays for Condo damage? - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on March 07, 2000 at 19:22:42:

The plumbing outside of your unit would most likely be the responsibility of the association, although you need to read your association declarations to be sure. They are public record.

However, the resulting damages is usually NOT the responsibility of the association. Many people unfortunately make this mistake when buying condos; the association fee includes hazard insurance which covers the building, but not the interior carpet, drywall and furniture of the occupants.