Who regulates bandit signs? - Posted by Luke Hoppel

Posted by Dave K on April 19, 2006 at 02:40:44:

*** IT’S EASIER TO ASK FORGIVENESS THAN PERMISSION ***
ALL municipalities have an ordinance against political/advertising signs. It’s not equally enforced. Some towns don’t care (as long as it’s not overboard.) Some are downright anal about it. It comes down to the personality of the patrol or code officer. I steer clear of one town near me because the code officer called me personally. But yet, they seem to ignore the political “election time” signs. WTF!

NO, signs do not reflect negatively on “law abiding” investors. That the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I know many forthright, upstanding, honest investors that use signs. I look at it this way: somewhere out there, someone is grasping for a solution to their problem. That sign could be their salvation. Not everyone looks in the paper or listens to the radio. Next thing you know, someone will say that a business card left on a gas pump is wrong. GET A LIFE…

Who regulates bandit signs? - Posted by Luke Hoppel

Posted by Luke Hoppel on April 18, 2006 at 03:18:34:

I’m looking to relocate to jacksonvile, FL and start investing there. I’m in the homework phase of things and am looking into the cities regulations on bandit signs. Who do I talk to regarding that? City planners, zoning officials???

Re: Who regulates bandit signs? - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on April 18, 2006 at 20:41:55:

This probably isn’t exactly the answer you wanted, but anyway: I take and deface illegal ‘I buy houses’ Sleaze Ball signs because they reflect negatively upon law abiding investors.

Re: Who regulates bandit signs? - Posted by Chris in FL

Posted by Chris in FL on April 18, 2006 at 10:58:10:

Don’t know if it is the same as Lakeland or not, but here it is Code Enforcement. Also, while it is against ordinance here, and they will remove your signs, and call you asking you to stop, they can not impose penalties. They do expect to change that in the future.
Also, they openly told me that if you do a little now and again, they don’t care much. If you put out thousands, constantly over time, they will harrass you big-time, plus target your signs to get rid of them as quick as possible every time. I tend to work within the system, and it works well for me. If you butt heads with code enforcement on the signs, look out because they can try to target your houses, too (if they can find them)… I imagine it is fun when they write up every little defect they can possibly find, force you to constantly be fixing things that they normally would never bother anyone with, and require meticulous adherence to code when you do rehab work, etc. ‘Sometimes the pain ain’t worth the gain’ (as per Pappa Ron’s advertising). Best wishes!

Re: Who regulates bandit signs? - Posted by Randy (SD)

Posted by Randy (SD) on April 18, 2006 at 09:38:38:

Don?t bother checking? they are illegal. But if you must it?s probably Building Services (at least in my area, Building Services ? Temporary Signs)