WHY WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT WEED? - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Gator on April 22, 1999 at 08:33:46:

you’re killin me. We must meet someday and share a beverage and a laugh.

WHY WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT WEED? - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on April 20, 1999 at 16:18:35:

Since I began posting on CRE (about last November), I’ve taken a special and growing notice of a very peculiar behavior among some of the participants here. Obvioulsy I’ve gotten to know many of you personally, and have corresponded at great length with many dozens of others. I am, therefore–at least to some small degree–aware of who the real investors (The Lemmeatum’s") are, and who the others (the “Wunadeesdayzers”) are.

And, to tell you the truth, the only difference between the the two groups (the Lemmeatums and the Wunadeesdayzers) is that the later ALWAYS daintily sticks its collective toe in the pool before jumping in, even though the former group is always already in the pool, beckoning others to join them. But no matter how “fine” the water may be, those obsessive-compulsive toe-dippers have a hundred reasons why things are just not quite right yet: “But, I’ll get my hair wet,” “But my suit’s a see-through and you guys are perverts,” “Wait, I have to tie back my ear hairs first,” “Um, I think I’m coming down with a Refractory Leukopenia”… and so on.

Here’s the deal (if you can tolerate this string of corny analogies):

DON’T WORRY ABOUT THE WEEDS…JUST PLANT THE Dxxx SEEDS!

Once your crops are up,and you have food to eat, you’ll have plenty of time to hoe the weeds, and enough profit from crops to buy seeds for the next planting (In other words: BE A PLANTER, NOT A HOE’ER?.. Don’t try this at home: not the same when spoken aloud).

For the Wunadeesdayzers (and you know who you are), come on in! The water’s fine! This incredible site has provided you with enough information to write 100 encyclopedias on Creative Fiancing. You’ve got the techniques of the Masters. You’ve got their assistance. You’ve got their secrets. You’ve got their experience and that of hundreds of others who have gone before you. You even have a dozen ways to buy millions of dollars worth of Real Estate without a single dime out of pocket, and without a single speck of Credit History (much less “strength”) or Risk.

PLEASE… just do it! (Do you remember Zig Ziglar’s wooden ‘Round Tuits’? “Yal’ll said said you wuz gonna do it when you got around to it…well here’s yer ‘Round Tuit’… so now get out there and DO IT!”).

Think about it… if you plan to make $12,000 on you first deal, and you wait six months to get around to it… you’ve just contracted to pay the Procrastination Fairy $2,000 per-month… for air.

Stop buying every course and tape series offered, just in order to use them as an excuse to “wait until you really understand it all.” Stop playing “Stump the Guru” here on CRE! DO SOMETHING NOW! EVEN IF ITS WRONG! And then (and only then) will you be extraordinarily rich and handsome like Karp (well… one out’a two’s not bad).

In my workshops, what I always tell the Newbies is that instead of jumping right in, they should begin by calling all Landlords and FSBO’s from the newspaper; but for the first 25, call them purely with the intention of merely learning what the market is like, and what the common objections are going to be. Then, if someone you call sounds at all like they might ready to hand their property over to you–below market and with instant profit potential–hang up real fast, and thank God that they don’t know your phone number!

Bill

WEED - Posted by Gator

Posted by Gator on April 21, 1999 at 09:23:47:

Mr. Bill,

I been meanin to tell you that I really enjoy your post even though I don’t understand a lot of the big words like refractory lukenopia, pac trust… etc. You must have gone to Vanderbilt or some school like that cause I know they don’t teach them words at Middle Tennessee State Univ. You are one funny son of a gun. I’m still laffin about the rats whose urine glows in the dark and of course the great woodchuck conundrum. By the way, is a wood chuck the same thing as a beaver or are they more like a ground hog? I got a real beaver problem here, they are obviously in the 5% that can really chuck wood and are chucking over 95% of the wood being chucked here. Now I have a nephew named Chuck and he wouldn’t chuck wood if his life depended on it. Matter of fact Chuck won’t do anything much unless there is food or ninetendo involved. Excuse me for getting off track. Back to the subject at hand.

I certainly agree that more of these folks ought to just do it and get motivated. I can not understand why more people don’t get in on this easy money. I’ve always done rentals and rehabs but since I read Lonnies book, I’ve had wobbly box fever. Talked to a dealer the other day that I’ve made friends with. He said he was gonna buy a 60 lot park with 12 older mh’s in it. He wants it for his new homes and doesn’t want to fool with the old ones but if I’ll buy em from him, they can stay in the park. My last deal with him he sold me 2 trade in mhs in a park for $2500. I know he’ll make me a good deal. I can’t wait. Theres just not enough hours in a day.

So come on folks theres great deal waitin for you, you just gotta get out there. Stop procrastinatin, I know how you feel I was there once myself. I’m a toe dipper my self cause I don’t like cold water. But if the water is warm you just gotta jump in and look out for the woodchucks.

Best wishes and thanks again Mr. Bill

Gator

Re: WHY WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT WEED? - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on April 21, 1999 at 02:36:49:

I knew a young man named Charles Fuller, from Houston, that taught me not to be overly preoccupied with how to do the next step until you had done the first one. Until you have a contract don’t let the concern of how to get the money distract you. Unless to plant the seed in your venactular you can’t let the worry of how to water it dissuade you from planting the seed.

I don’t do weed - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on April 20, 1999 at 20:44:30:

Thanks Bill for your inspiring posts. Not just this one, but you always have something good and positive to say. Thanks.

AMEN, and what the heck?? - Posted by karp

Posted by karp on April 20, 1999 at 20:21:41:

Nice Post, Bill!
For once you talked about something other than those WACKY PAC-TRUST THINGAMAJIGS! LOL (you know I love them)

You have said in a diplomatic way what I have never been able to say, namely “Is your life THAT good that you can’t afford to take a risk and blow up?!?”

Most of the time I wonder how we can afford NOT taking risks!

Anyway, nice post. Here comes the complaint.

I just ordered pastel doubleknit wide collared polyester inspirational tennis shirts for my staff. Each engraved with their name and
“DEDICATED WOODCHUCKER” on it.

Now you change the rules and woodchucking is out and Lemmeatum is in.

It isn’t fair you know…

karp

I think Bill meant “WEEDS” - Posted by Tyler

Posted by Tyler on April 20, 1999 at 19:51:52:

LOL

For a minute, there, I thought I was on the wrong site!

Thanks for the kick, Bill.

NT

Re: JUST DO IT! - Posted by Jackie in Dallas

Posted by Jackie in Dallas on April 20, 1999 at 18:35:37:

Thanks Bill - a great “lesson” for everyone that’s STILL thinking about it.

I’d like to add another point. At a recent meeting with a local hard money lender, he mentioned how so many investors are like ground hogs. They will dig through the dirt and when they come to a boulder or large rock, they will just continue to try and dig through the boulder instead of going around it. Sound familiar?

How many of you have posted saying the seller just won’t go for a lease option - “what can I do” Of course, you are hoping that someone will propose a better way to do the lease option deal.

How many of you have posted saying - “oh, but you have to get a dealers license to do Lonnie deals - what can I do?”

etc, etc, etc.

Remember that the good thing about CREATIVE real estate is that there is seldom just ONE way to make any deal work. This is NOT a black or white business - it’s all colors of the rainbow. If it won’t work one way - try a different way and if necessary a third way.

That’s where your education comes in handy - the more ways you know how to help a seller or buyer solve their problems, the more deals you’ll close.

The real key to success is simply dealing with motivated sellers and finding our what they want and need - then finding a way to give them what they need that will still make it a profitable deal for you.

But it all starts with that first step - and that’s YOU talking to a seller - nothing will happen, you won’t make a dime, until you just do it!

Re: WHY WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT WEED? - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on April 20, 1999 at 17:16:51:

Bill-

Excellent advice. Paralysis of analysis is costly! I needed a kick in the axx to get started in my new area of REI focus, and I know I’m not the only one around here.

Thanks-

Stacy

Re: WEED - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on April 21, 1999 at 17:48:05:

Sorry about the Nephew. For some reason people named Chuck are always Ne’r-Do-Wells. I agree.

Had a cow named Chuck once… wouldn’t give milk; wouldn’t come on command; wouldn’t have anything thing to do with the Bull (Bull didn’t take to Chuck much either…kind’a homely for a cow); and always preferred being with other cows… never understood ol’ Chuck. So we barbecued him. If all else fails with the Nephew, give it a shot.

Bill

Re: WEED - Posted by sandy FL

Posted by sandy FL on April 21, 1999 at 09:59:38:

Gator, allow me to say that I have always enjoyed YOUR posts! I think you are hilarious, and yes Bill is pretty entertaining too! I see the wobbly boxes have been keeping ya busy and you haven’t posted much. Please continue… love that down-home-unpretentious-I’ll-serve-you-up-a-mess-o’-catfish-thing you
got going there.

LMAO
Sandy

Re: I like it, Bud. - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on April 21, 1999 at 12:09:45:

Being an engineer-turned-business-manager, I can tell you it’s one of the toughest habits for me to break. I’m paid well at my J.O.B. for understanding and planning every nit in each project before ever starting it. Preoccupation with the next step (and the next 100) is what I do 50 hours a week.

If I tried to plan my real estate deals like this, I’d never do another deal. And this is the epiphany that occurred while reading your advice.

Thanks!

Stacy

Re: AMEN, and what the heck?? - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on April 21, 1999 at 17:59:30:

Karl (opps, I mean Karp),

Not to worry. Just order new “Lemmeatum” shirts and sell the others (the Woodchuckers) for 150% of what you paid for them. In your particular area, there must be at least 10,000 bowling leagues that would love to be the “Woodchukers.” And they’ll consider the arm pit stains as Value-Added Service.

Bill

Where’s the real risk? - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on April 20, 1999 at 20:42:25:

The biggest risk is always in not trying. Not trying is a sure thing. It means un-conditionally you will spend your later years broke and usually un-happy.

You could say that the odds are 50:1 against you. Only 2% of people hit 65 and are wealthy. Only another 3% are financially independent. In other words, the odds are 20:1 that you will even be able to be comfortable.

BUT WAIT! Those aren’t odds. The 5% that are financially independent ARE THE ONES that jumped in. The 95% bought the baloney about a good job.

OK - Tell me - WHERE’S THE RISK? I think it’s in doing nothing.