Wood Siding question - Posted by jp in pc

Posted by jp in pc on October 03, 2003 at 11:59:20:

thanks for the info. I suppose I will have learned a valuable lesson about buying things that I have only seen in the dark by the time I finish fixing this one.

Wood Siding question - Posted by jp in pc

Posted by jp in pc on October 02, 2003 at 22:32:03:

Bought a 81 champion SW with wood siding (sort of looks like outdoor paneling, if that helps), paint on it is good, only about 8 of the panels have in spots what looks to be rotted areas at the tops and bottoms from all of the moisture we get here in FL.

What is the best way to either fix the rotted ones or reside the thing so it doesn’t happen again? Can I spot repair the wood on it now and have look decent or do I have to replace the entire panel to fix what is in some cases, a 6x8 inches bad spot?



You may be entitled to a cash settlement… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on October 04, 2003 at 19:15:47:

…if your hardboard siding is swelling, roting, or buckling.

Call 1-800-261-5741.

I saw this ad on another website. I do not know anything about it. Why not call and find out if you qualify?

Please let us know the results.

Regards, doc

Re: Wood Siding question - Posted by Joe C. (AR)

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on October 02, 2003 at 23:50:38:

I have had good luck replacing “pieces”. I generally pick the highest spot from the bottom where the rot is evident, usually 24" takes care of it. I then chalk a line at that height for the length of the home. I cut (circular saw) each rotted panel at the chalk line. I get some prebent flashing that will slide under the old (upper) section, out, and over the new piece. I find similar siding, usually at HD or Lowes, cut pieces to fit and install. Then I cut (rip) some 4" strips, longway, from a new full panel. I install the strips along the chalk line for the length of the home covering the seem, exposed flashing and even the old uncut panels. Then I caulk and paint everything the same color. It just adds some trim to a long blank wall. I have had better luck with the pieces than with replacing full panels and it’s MUCH cheaper and faster. Most siding deteriorates from the bottom up because the skirting systems trap moistier agaist the outside, not because it’s getting into the wall.
If the rot is at the top, it’s because water is getting inside at the point where the roof overlaps the siding and a full panel is necessary and recommended as well as finding the leak and sealing.

Joe C. (AR)

Re: Wood Siding question - Posted by MArk

Posted by MArk on October 02, 2003 at 23:19:10:

I turned a 1985 Palm Harbor recently.It also had rot.
I concluded that the rot was going to continue to spread with continued exposure to moisture.The only option was replacement.You will probally have some mold issues on the back side also.The materials are know as masonite about $17.12 a sheet it comes primed
from the factory and paint ready.The solution to the problem I found worked best was rain gutters and down spouts.It will stop the bulk of roof runoff from
running down the side.If there is facia board at the top it will have to be removed in order to remove the siding.Its likely that you will have rot under it also
it would be prudent to expect to have to replace it also as if it does have some rot it break quite easily.
during the removal process.Good luck.

as time goes by . . . - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on October 03, 2003 at 10:12:29:

I find that the hidden handyman in me appreciates these posts more and more.

must . . . .

suppress . . . . .

the . . . .

urge . . .

to . . .

hammer . . . . . . . . . . . . . .