Wow - Posted by Tom

Posted by ski on March 19, 2006 at 07:06:30:

Try news~press.com. It is the local gannet publication. It also has affilliates. Cape coral breeze publishes many of the local throw on the driveway type papers.

Wow - Posted by Tom

Posted by Tom on March 18, 2006 at 17:28:23:

I was looking at the Northern VA Association of Realtors web site last night, specifically at the statistics section of the site. Here’s what the story is for the month of February 2006:

1. The # of homes on the market has increased between 250% and 300% over the same period last year, depending on which county you look at

2. The # of settlements has decreased by 66% from the same period last year

I’m thinking that based on supply and demand, that means prices are set to go down, or at least level off. Sellers who were used to houses being sold in a matter of hours or days last year are in for a rude awakening. As for me, I think I’m going to wait until there’s a real sense of desperation in the market (from the seller’s point of view, that is) and then maybe go shopping…!

Tom

Re: Wow - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on March 18, 2006 at 22:44:50:

Tom,

What timeframe are you looking at before you start aggressively ‘shopping’? I own properties in N Va and am alway intested in posts like this when it concerns an area I’m familiar with. Thanks

Re: Wow - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on March 18, 2006 at 18:50:22:

You should check out swfla.

Re: Wow - Posted by Tom

Posted by Tom on March 19, 2006 at 06:01:04:

Well, I’m still a newbie at this whole thing–but it seems to me that such a decision wouldn’t be based on time. I think it’d be based more on a feeling of overall despondence coming from the sellers, and when I start hearing things like “real estate is a terrible investment” from folks who wouldn’t even know boards like this one exist. Who knows? This spring may show that the market really isn’t bad, just levelling off.

Where in N. VA do you own properties? When/how did you get into them? I’ve not purchased anything around here because I’ve thought the market was overheated for quite some time now. I’m still working on how to buy properties “right”, and until I do I’m sure not buying anything listed in the MLS 'cause I can’t get the numbers to work out profitably.

Tom

Re: Can not find it - Posted by Dan-fl

Posted by Dan-fl on March 19, 2006 at 06:54:07:

Do you have a website for that info? thanks

Re: Wow - Posted by KPC

Posted by KPC on March 20, 2006 at 10:46:46:

Last Friday, Jim Cramer (Kramer?) was on the Today show and said “call your broker, sell your real estate, buy stocks”. I thought that was good news for real estate.