Wrong Zip code on Deed - Posted by nhTN

Posted by nhTN on September 10, 2003 at 20:19:06:

Thanks, This is my first deal so I am a little paranoid. I got the house for $8100 and it is in a decent neighborhood very close to local campus. The same house sold for 43k last year and the house next door which is identical has an asking price of 47k. The biggest reason other than the possible zip code confusion that I got such an offer accepted is that there was a Huge tree down in the backyard. (I already cut it up and the city hauled it off. It only cost a $92 chainsaw rental and a weekend of my time) I just mainly don’t want to get in a situation where I do a lot of work and then they try to take the house back or something. I think that won’t happen, I am just being a little paranoid.

Thanks a lot for you reply. I have left a message to the closing agent to call me. I will try to get something done just in case. (affidavit or new deed)

Wrong Zip code on Deed - Posted by nhTN

Posted by nhTN on September 10, 2003 at 08:45:27:

Just bought a fix up type property from a bank last week. I just noticed that the zip code is wrong, very wrong. The zip code they have is the worst zip code in the city. The actual zip code is not even adjacent. I am contacting the title company today. How big of a problem is this potentially. Should I ask them to get a new Deed or just have them file some sort of addendum? (I think this may be the biggest reason I got such a good deal).

Thanks

Re: The legal description - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on September 10, 2003 at 20:45:06:

always takes precedence over the postal address. The post office can change your address, and addressing system at any time they like. The legal description will stay the same. Example there are a lot of properties in my area that have had addresses changed from rural box numbers to five digit addresses but the legal description remains the same.

Probably not a big deal… - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on September 10, 2003 at 10:19:14:

nh:

Deeds typically do not trasfer by address, but by “Legal description”. Legal descriptions do not contain addresses, as a general rule, unless it is a new development, and even then rarely. On Deeds it may recite the Legal description, then in another area of the Deed, say this parcel is more commonly referred to as: 123 Main St… If this is the case, then the zip sin’t all that crucial… and when you transfer it could be corrected at that time.

Check with your Title Co who prepared the document, and they may be able to file an affidavit to correct this w/o a new deed. If there is a problem, then have the preparer of the deed performa “do-over”…

Yes, the Bank may have been influenced by the zip code, but that is their error and loss, if that is what happened. I’d say it is too late for them to catch that now.

Again, there should be an easy fix here, if one is needed at all.

JT-IN