Your thoughts on energy-efficient homes - Posted by JOHNKIM

Posted by Brent_IL on July 17, 2003 at 20:24:26:

James,

I don?t know in which part of the state you?re located. Aside from understanding the basic theory regarding hydrogen power, I don’t know enough to comment on power generation, but I have looked into using windmills in the greater Chicagoland area. It turns out that, despite the “Windy City” moniker, the average wind speed in nearby suburbs is only around eight to nine miles per hour. Many cost-efficient windmills don?t even kick in at that speed. To take advantage of the bursts, one needs a big windmill and more storage batteries.

Unlike in more enlightened states, Illinois utilities pay much less for power that they purchase through an intertie system than they charge for the power that they provide, so it doesn?t make sense to use the utility for storage or back-up. Your uncle did O.K. Regular car batteries are a killer if you have to pay for them. The best watt for dollar approach I?ve found so far is a diesel generator-storage battery-inverter system. If I knew that I would live in the same house for the rest of my life, I?d put in 12-volt LED lighting throughout the entire property in a flash.

I would appreciate reading about how you fare with your transition. Best success.

Your thoughts on energy-efficient homes - Posted by JOHNKIM

Posted by JOHNKIM on July 16, 2003 at 15:51:33:

I’m thinking of moving to a new home.
I’m having it built from scratch within 2 years.

I plan to live in this home as long as I’m alive
so I want to make it as energy efficient as possible
what’s your expert opinion on this?

1. Where can i get solar-panels installed?

2. Solar-waterheaters?

3. Sun-rooms?

4. Anything else you have in mind?

Are these solar panel/heater systems as good as they claim to be? I hear from many people around me that “if they are really as good as they claim, then why aren’t local builders offering it as an option?”

Sorry if this is a bit out of context
but couldn’t think of anywhere else to post…

Re: Your thoughts on energy-efficient homes - Posted by JasonW.

Posted by JasonW. on July 17, 2003 at 12:04:52:

Also try: www.sips.org
Try to find a builder who uses (can use) SIPS.

Jason W.

Re: Your thoughts on energy-efficient homes - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on July 16, 2003 at 21:56:47:

Try http://www.realsolar.com

There may be someone local who has similar experience.

If you go 100%, it will be for your benefit. When you want to sell, the improvements will not add as much to the selling price as they will cost you to put in.

Your thoughts on energy-efficient homes - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on July 16, 2003 at 21:09:27:

Supposedly, short of earth homes --built in caves, etc., the best homes are now being built out of concrete and foam insulation.

You stack up foam blocks and fill them with concrete…something like and R Factor or 39.

Do a search on “Concrete Houses” and “green houses” I used to have a bunch of them but have deleted them all from this set of URL’s. If you cannot find what you want e-mail me and I’ll go to my archive sites and look them up for you.

Good Luck,

Bill H

Re: Your thoughts on energy-efficient homes - Posted by GL - ON

Posted by GL - ON on July 16, 2003 at 20:24:51:

The best built house is the most energy efficient house.

2X6 walls instead of 2X4, with 8" of insulation stuffed in. Expensive thermopane windows. A quality builder who can put a house together without cracks and holes that cause drafts.

With all the advances in furnaces a good mid efficiency furnace is nearly as good as a high efficiency ( around 92% efficient vs. 98%) and a lot cheaper and trouble free.

A heat pump is a good investment too, for heating and central air.

Re: Your thoughts on energy-efficient homes - Posted by James Mc IL

Posted by James Mc IL on July 17, 2003 at 11:59:05:

Sounds like the houses that my uncle builds. 2 x 6 and all.

Your right about the furnace too. The parts on a Ultra high are very expensive.

I have seen a house run on a 12-volt system for everything. He has a thick log house with 1/2 under ground.

The expense was for batteries. Not the new kind but for regular car batteries. BUT, he knows someone at Walmart and they just exchange them when they go bad.

He has solar panels and hasn’t paid for electric for years!!!

I’m thinking about hydrogen power myself with windmills to generate that.

James Mc