bandit sign wars -- you'll love this! - Posted by ROBERT

Posted by Shawn_ma on June 15, 2002 at 23:27:06:

You gave me an idea! I just now thought about placing “I buy houses!” ads in fortune cookies to capitalize on the supersticious crowd. hehe…hmmm

bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by ROBERT

Posted by ROBERT on June 14, 2002 at 11:10:01:

just thought i’d share a funny story from the front lines of the bandit sign war.

it seems some annoyed citizens in my area of atlanta, georgia have one up on we investors. instead of calling the police about bandit signs they are paying neighborhood kids $1.00 a sign to take them down!!

one teenage boy told me he’s made $30 so far doing this and his brother is going to start helping him. now, i’m all for bandit signs and have used them myself, but i wasn’t even angry upon hearing this, because i thought it was pretty darn clever.

yea, i know it’s destruction of property and all that, blah, blah and that the neighbors could be sued if the kids fell off a ladder and died or something… but the whole thing has me wondering about how we get around this.

any ideas?!

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by JX

Posted by JX on June 15, 2002 at 02:40:31:

I usually put my bandit signs at posts at busy intersections and areas where rush hour traffic is slow moving. I put them up every Friday 5pm to Monday 5am. They’ve been highly effective and I never get a phone call from the city/town. Mainly because they’re not open on the weekend. As for the signs being taken down, they’re already so cheap I really could care less what happens to them. It saves me the trouble of taking them down. I mean do you really want to drive around and take down say…50 signs? Heck I’d rather pay ppl to do that for me. :slight_smile:

-chogster “Got Kupo?”

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on June 14, 2002 at 22:22:57:

I assume these kids aren’t teenagers driving around for miles looking for signs. If not, drive about a mile or 2 down the road and put up your signs there. I personally “litter” my signs over a 15-mile or so radius from house which covers 3 counties. Those kids would have to be pretty darn persistent to keep up with me.

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by jeff

Posted by jeff on June 14, 2002 at 15:58:31:

i can buy these things for .85 each and sell for 1.00, that looks like an investment opportunity right there. it appears to be a solid 15% yield on as many as i can buy. maybe i need to move to atlanta?

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by ROBERT

Posted by ROBERT on June 14, 2002 at 14:36:37:

i am in SE atlanta, glenwood/mcafee/dekalb/reynoldstown. there are a million signs around.

i appreciate the idea to pay the kids to put them back up but i don’t want to get into a crazy bidding war with the dumb kids getting all the cash.

i’m sure it’s some fad thing, and the neighbors will just get tired of paying. i did tell the kid (nicely) that it was illegal to take them down and he got quiet. still, that seemed kind of stupid to me because it’s illegal to put them up.

anyway, it just seems pretty funny to me.

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by Ken_GA

Posted by Ken_GA on June 14, 2002 at 14:28:48:

Just curious. What part of Atlanta are you in? North, South, NE, NW, etc.

Ken

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by m.p.

Posted by m.p. on June 14, 2002 at 12:31:00:

I have a thought about the bandit signs.
I live in NYC and I cannot imagine a home owner calling
some signs stapled to a pole. I am talking about the metro area.
I was trying to put myself into the home owner’s wellingtons. I wouldn’t call on a sign like that trying to sell my home. That’s how most people think.I saw other bandit signes around - “work from home and make millions”, " lose 35 lb in 2 days and feel better", and similar.
How can these signs work?
It’s not happening in this area.
Also the marketing super systems I saw on the internet do not bring any results, really.
Like the homeowners will call on my add. No way. It ain’t happening here.
I have had put several ads in a paper(RE Section) for 8 weeks. I got one call from a totally confused individual who thought I was leasing trucks.
Any ideas? Take me appart, please.
Thank you

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by Bill (NY)

Posted by Bill (NY) on June 14, 2002 at 11:54:47:

Print up a couple hundred copies of bandit signs at the local print shop and hand them out to the kids so they can get their buck apiece without any work and then split it 50/50 with them. Use the profits to get more signs printed up. Eventually the neighbors will get tired of handing the cash out.

Better yet, let the kids onto the fact that they can print up their own bandit signs on a computer and basically print themselves money.

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by sean

Posted by sean on June 14, 2002 at 11:41:06:

Pay the same kids a dollar to put them back up maybe?

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by Jeff Bliven (TN)

Posted by Jeff Bliven (TN) on June 17, 2002 at 08:31:45:

Really Dude…

Give it up!! Where can you get them for $.85 each???

I assume we’re talking about 18"x24" coroplast??

Please share!!

Jeff@WeBuyTN.com

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by James Strange

Posted by James Strange on June 15, 2002 at 07:01:22:

Where can you buy them for .85?

James

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by Shawn_ma

Posted by Shawn_ma on June 15, 2002 at 23:21:40:

I have just taken out an ad in the paper and have gotten two calls in four days…don’t get me wrong, they are not motivated seller’s, but I am closer now.

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by jeff

Posted by jeff on June 14, 2002 at 15:55:57:

i know absolutely nothing about NYC (thank god). but in my small town area bandits and ads work great. i have gotten great results off both.

looks to me like the more personal touch is needed in your area. yuor best shot might just be to go for door hangers. these can have plenty nifo to stop cnofusion and also give a paper copy of your info to callers. maybe their eyes glaze over while driving (or taxi-ing) but if these things are hanging on their door knobs when they arrive home, maybe they will take notice.

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on June 14, 2002 at 14:56:37:

I like that idea!

Here kid, take the info off my sign so it all looks legit, then print up a few hundred at a time and turn them in to collect your dollars!!! Yeah, printing your own money can be lots of fun! Maybe the people putting out signs should jump on this as well! Then they can use the money to buy more of the good signs they really use!!! LOL

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on July 23, 2003 at 21:52:06:

Yeah that would be swell. Where can u get them for $0.85

Re: bandit sign wars – you’ll love this! - Posted by JohnP SFL

Posted by JohnP SFL on June 14, 2002 at 22:06:28:

Gee Jeff,
I hope I don’t know anything about where you live (Thank God).

JohnP SFL

Posted by Bill (NY) on June 14, 2002 at 16:08:02:

Hey jeff

NYC is not the place to be going door to door putting up doorhangers unless you are accompanied by at least two 500lb guerrillas and you are wearing a bulletproof vest and a fast pair of sneakers.

Just a word of advice in case you decide to move there some day:-)

Bill(NY)

that is perfect - Posted by fnord42

Posted by fnord42 on June 14, 2002 at 17:20:59:

That is perfect. The backfire. Just hand out stacks of them to the kids. the neighbours will stop paying
soon enough.

Posted by Bill (NY) on June 14, 2002 at 15:55:08:

How about this, print signs up using disappearing ink. By the time the kids get them down to turn them in for cash they will be holding a blank sheet of paper.
Have to wait until April first though;-)