National DO NOT CALL List ... - Posted by Redline

Re: The continuum of risk… - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on June 29, 2003 at 11:04:02:

Hal,

You stated,

"Even if I concede that calling a person to BUY their house – an individual, me, calling this one guy to buy their home – is the same as Pizza Hut soliciting business from every one in a zip code – and I think ya’ll are all wrong on confusing the "

I see absolutely no problem in calling people if you are a private individual shopping for a home. When the individual ( investor ) operates under a business assumed name, corp, llc, trust, that individual is no longer a private individual.

Hal, I see this as a greater risk than a subject to multiple default scenario. But this is where one road divides into two. The individual investor holds the ink to his blueprint on what is risk, what is theoretical, what is poor decision making, and what is not.

You also said,

“In my opinion, one can easily let the “risk” stuff get in the way of doing deals. It’s common grist for the mill of analysis paralysis. This is a shame. While it is prudent to analyze risk, one can never dequately cover all risks, and one must, at some point, take action and conduct ones business in such a way that one has reasonably minimized one’s risk and maximized one’s chances for profit”

I couldn’t help but to chuckle at the statement and the implied shame in considering that somehow this issue as a greater risk than doing subject to deals.

What it really comes down to is every investor will make up his own rule to justify what he wants to do.

You and I can sit and point out what/how one investor is a moron, a ##$%$, a low/high risk taker, in the end we will do what is most comfortable.

Cheerz,

Re: I changed my mind … - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on June 30, 2003 at 08:59:25:

Tom,

You have three sides to the issue.

One side says nope I ain’t breaking the law.

The second side feels the law is limited to selling for another, WHICH IT IS NOT.

The third side says who cares I have no plans to change the way I do business.

Basically, people will do what they wanted to do all along. If you hear of any court cases involving do not call lists please drop me a private email.

I am a big fan of men in clown suits.

Cheerz,

Re: I changed my mind … - Posted by blueline

Posted by blueline on June 29, 2003 at 02:14:21:

If you dont want to be labeled a snot nosed kid or moron I suggest leaving redline alone.

Re: National DO NOT CALL List … - Posted by Tom-FL

Posted by Tom-FL on June 27, 2003 at 23:01:03:

well, I’m pretty sure charities are exempt :wink:

Wow! - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on June 28, 2003 at 17:02:01:

Hal,

You seem so smart, and yet you don’t have to be a dick to get your point across. How refeshing :wink:

Anyway, good to see you again. And good to see some names I take great stock in validating the fact that Dialing for Dollars DOES work! (despite with the courses say).

And I agree with you - I’m not overly concerned about the law but wanted some input about what others had to say about it.

Thanks for your input. Valued as always.

RL

Re: You’re missing the point of this law - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on June 27, 2003 at 19:56:51:

Well sitting back and waiting for the phone to ring is no way to do business. Maybe that works where you are, but here I’d starve to death if I had to wait for sellers to take their heads out of the sand, face their problems, decide to take action and THEN call me (versus the other 100 mailers they got).

You wait by the phone, I’ll go chase them down.

RL

Tom: consider answering the same… - Posted by Hal Roark

Posted by Hal Roark on June 30, 2003 at 08:59:21:

Tom,

Do you have my office bugged, or what? (Smile). Your scenario of my calls is scarily close to home.

I woulden’t be breaking out the popcorn, yet.

Below, I asked Houserookie to answer some questions on this topic. I would love to get your own personal answers to them as well. Please consider answering them from your own perspective.

Thanks,

Hal

Houserookie, answer these questions, please… - Posted by Hal Roark

Posted by Hal Roark on June 30, 2003 at 08:55:22:

Houserookie,

You have evidently read the new law and considered the implications. Help me, please, with these questions.

1. Where can I read about all the rules and regulations of this new law?

2. Your posts infer that any unsolicited phone call from a business is “telemarketing.” It doesn’t matter whether they are calling to buy or sell. Do you believe this?

3. Are all forms of telemarketing the same, or are some more egregious than others? I believe that, theoretically, one can argue that all are the same, whether it’s Papa Johns calling hundreds of people daily, or a single business calling one time to buy a house. But, in the real world, I don’t believe they are the same. There are degrees of “telemarketing”. Do you believe this?

4. In the other post above, you say the judge is going to ask a longer string of questions to the “telemarketer”, especially the preforeclosure buyer. Do you really think this is going to a judge? Do you really think this would – not could, but would – happen, when I, as a business, call to buy a preforeclosing home? If so, where along the risk continuum to YOU place this risk? Do you see it as a realworld, everyday concern? Or is it grossly theoretical? Toward the middle of the bar, or out on the left or right? Please illucidate.

5. “I couldn’t help but to chuckle at the statement and the implied shame in considering that somehow this issue as a greater risk than doing subject to deals.” I’m not sure I’m tracking what you are trying to say here; please clarify. What, specifically, do you mean by “implied shame in considering”?

6. Given how you interpret this law, and given where you put it on the risk continuum, what are your personal beliefs for how an investor should use the phone to make unsolicted calls?

I think the answers to these questions will help bring greater clarity to this discussion.

Hal

Re: I changed my mind … - Posted by Tom-FL

Posted by Tom-FL on June 30, 2003 at 21:09:35:

I’ll certainly keep it on my radar.

I just discovered today my state has a list. I remember knowing about it a few years ago too, but it’s $10 to sign up and $5 a year to renew. And when you log onto the web site, you can only download a form, fill it out and mail it. There probably only 7 numbers on it so far. I also found out you need a license to go door knocking, and to get this license, you have to be fingerprinted, and have your criminal history investigated. Amazing the things you find when you look.

Re: National DO NOT CALL List … - Posted by Dave Zelenko

Posted by Dave Zelenko on June 28, 2003 at 24:46:42:

Listen guys, bottom line is…it’s all about making money. I’ve had homeowners laugh at me for offering 30K cash out of a 60K equity deal. I guess they thought I should make about $100 on the deal. That scenario has happened more than once. So now (because I have the cash to do so) I will not “negotiate” with them because I will just buy their house at auction and pocket the full 60K.

That may seem like a hard approach but once I adopted this philosophy I went from making 10K profit a month to 10K profit a week. It’s all about the money baby!

So when they laugh at me now they just “lose” it to me later.

Dave Zelenko
Zelenko Properties & Investments LLC.
Florida

Re: You’re missing the point of this law - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on June 27, 2003 at 20:02:50:

If you know what you’re doing, you’d be spending LESS TIME chasing real estate deals.

This new law has almost no effect on people that know what they are doing.

If you keep chasing them down someone else will be chasing after you. And it won’t be a me or your customers.

Cheerz,

Re: Tom: consider answering the same… - Posted by Tom-FL

Posted by Tom-FL on June 30, 2003 at 20:53:48:

1. Where can I read about all the rules and regulations of this new law?

-> National Do Not Call Registry Tough getting info there, it’s not orgainized well.

1. Your posts infer that any unsolicited phone call from a business is “telemarketing.” It doesn’t matter whether they are calling to buy or sell. Do you believe this?

-> Yes I do.

1. Are all forms of telemarketing the same, or are some more egregious than others? I believe that, theoretically, one can argue that all are the same, whether it’s Papa Johns calling hundreds of people daily, or a single business calling one time to buy a house. But, in the real world, I don’t believe they are the same. There are degrees of “telemarketing”. Do you believe this?

-> No more than there are “degrees” of running a red light, legally speaking. It’s either red or it isn’t.

1. In the other post above, you say the judge is going to ask a longer string of questions to the “telemarketer”, especially the preforeclosure buyer. Do you really think this is going to a judge? Do you really think this would – not could, but would – happen, when I, as a business, call to buy a preforeclosing home? If so, where along the risk continuum to YOU place this risk? Do you see it as a realworld, everyday concern? Or is it grossly theoretical? Toward the middle of the bar, or out on the left or right? Please illucidate.

-> Might be a judge, might not. The IRS can inflict plenty of damage without a judge and so can the INS, the SEC, and the FTC (the agency in charge of this law).
-> Could/Would? Depends on if you are caller #1 or caller #75. The later, the higher your chance of getting reported.
-> Well, if I were having a problem paying the note, I might be forgiving of the first several callers, but again, if you’re caller #75, you’re getting reported, along with callers #5 through #74.

1. “I couldn’t help but to chuckle at the statement and the implied shame in considering that somehow this issue as a greater risk than doing subject to deals.” I’m not sure I’m tracking what you are trying to say here; please clarify. What, specifically, do you mean by “implied shame in considering”?

-> Mmmmmmmm, got me, I didn’t say it.

1. Given how you interpret this law, and given where you put it on the risk continuum, what are your personal beliefs for how an investor should use the phone to make unsolicted calls?

-> Well, if you’re calling in your own state, this law has no bearing anyway. Many states already have similar laws tough, and more are sure to follow. There is quite a groundswell against intrusive calls. Personally, I always heard knocking on doors makes more money anyhow. Can’t say personal experience validates that though. I got one hit on a visit and four on the phone. And that was over 125 visits and only 25 or so phone calls. So, I’ve had better luck on the phone. Could be a fluke though. I’m six+ hours from the closest state line, so I’m not personally worried about the federal law. If i were to call someone in Alabama about a foreclosure, it would only be because I got the number from their family member or something (that I don’t think would be telemarketing … one call … one time … and they were expecting it anyhow, since their brother/cousin/whomever told them I’d be calling). In my poking around to answer your question, I discovered my state has such a law. It’s not very effective tough, costs $10 to list the first year and $5 to renew every year after. No mystery it’s not well known then. I also stumbled across a state statute that says you can’t drum up business by knocking on doors without a permit, for which you need to get fingerprinted and have your criminal history dug up. Anyway, the federal law calls for $11,000 per call, so if you had a bad week and got reported 8 times, it could be rough. After a few years, and it becomes clear who they are going after, and who they aren’t, then it will be easier to decide.

Does your state have a list? http://www.ftc.gov/donotcall/media/2003/06/state_interaction_facts.pdf
28 states have a list or are sharing the federal one. 23 states and DC have no list.

Redline, your answers, too… - Posted by Hal Roark

Posted by Hal Roark on June 30, 2003 at 09:00:40:

RL,

You made the post. You’ve been thinking about this. What is your current thought on the 6 questions I asked Houserookie? I’d love to see your thoughts on this, too.

Hal

Re: Houserookie, answer these questions, please… - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on July 01, 2003 at 18:23:42:

Hal,

Do not call lists probably carry the same weight, features, risks, and benefits as bandit signs. There’s no winner or loser really. I am not going to turn this into a religious debate.

My concern is that I’d rather not have real estate investment attached to junk phone calls. Remember how a few people ( investors ) damaged the way the public looks at flipping? The same can happen when the public look at investors as cold calling scam artists looking to buy homes in preclosure.

Possibility? Maybe so …maybe not.

As real estate investors, the public will look at us as a group. One investor can damage the reputation of all investors.

Answers to your questions,

1. Inman | Real Estate News for Realtors and Brokers

also

1. Yes.

2. It’s unsolicited marketing anyway you look at it. Of course there are degrees of unsolicited marketing. You have one person that calls one day a week. Then you have another investor that calls ten times a day. Bottom line is it’s unsolicited marketing. Nobody “asked” you to call.

3. I don’t cold call. I don’t do preforeclosure lists. It makes no difference to me one way or the other.

4. I was drawing a comparison between doing subject to deals vs. dialing people on do not call lists. You have warned others of the possibilities of getting into trouble with legitimate subject to deals…in
    a multiple default scenario. But you don’t see a problem in dialing for dollars when it comes to do not call lists. You’ve implied that it is a shame to analyze the consequences of do not call lists, yet you’ve sent warning chills to everyone on this board when it comes to subject to deals.

5. Don’t make unsolicited phone calls. If sellers are not advertising for your calls, why waste their time.

Hal, I understand that many on this board will do what they’re going to do regardles of the law or issue.
We can sit here and twist and turn the laws all day long.

The bottom line is, are you the type of person that promotes and conducts the business of unsolicited marketing by phone?

I personally would not want my name or businesses
associated with something that has such negative attachements…but thats your call.

The almight dollar speaks loud.

Cheerz,

Ok Haliburt … - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on July 01, 2003 at 03:19:22:

Ok here’s my answers:

1. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/donotcall/index.html

2. Absolutely. And please … when you’re calling as an investor you’re calling to solve the sellers problems. This is SELLING YOUR SERVICES. The end result may be you’re buying … but you can’t buy before you can sell !

3. That’s like asking if small white lies are OK but bigger ones aren’t. It’s like asking if kissing the girl next door is cheating on your wife, even though there was no sex. lol (Please no Bill Clinton references)

4. No judge. Let’s say theoretically you called a guy with time to burn … like JTR … and he’s gunning for you. He decides to file a complaint. (He also investigates you and finds you crank called as a teenager. More ammo). I think there’d be a short investigation and IF they decided you were in the wrong they’d sent you a statement asking for $11k. I think you’d have no say unless you wanted to lawyer up, and that would cost you ALOT more. Do I think this would happen? It’s possible. You know they will be looking for examples. Am I losing sleep over it? No. Will I still dial for dollars? You bet. I may even call Houserookie to find out how to buy a hotel franchise with nothing down.

5. wahuh?

6. I think investors should use the phone when they can’t get to the door. Unless they’re living in deal central (I dont live near there) investors need to work ALL avenues of dealdom and the phone is one of them.

Now I need to get some sleep …

RL

Listen, Redline… - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on June 28, 2003 at 02:37:42:

Please stop making yourself look silly. If you read the time stamp, you would see that that response was made after http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/76517.html

Which said,

"well sitting back and waiting for the phone to ring is no way to do business. Maybe that works where you are, but here I’d starve to death if I had to wait for sellers to take their heads out of the sand, face their problems, decide to take action and THEN call me (versus the other 100 mailers they got).

You wait by the phone, I’ll go chase them down."

Take a deep breath, and relax. I am not hear to force you to do anything. I am not here to tell you what to do. It’s just an opinion from me…a kid with snot hanging down his nose.

Please excuse me…I have to go and wipe the snot off.

You are starting to sound like the stereotype we young pups make about closed minded people.

Cheerz,

Re: You’re missing the point of this law - Posted by Brent

Posted by Brent on June 27, 2003 at 20:57:04:

I think Redline is saying that people who call pre-foreclosures, or most of them, explain to the callers we are here to help them. THEY are losing their homes, they need someone to help save their credit. If they dont want me to try my best to help them before their home goes to foreclosure then my partner and I will just pick up the home/property at the auction. Business is Business.

My partner followed up on his letters with phone calls, and it got him financially where it usually takes years for the average investor to get.

It is the free enterprise system. Besides, most of the homeowners in pre-foreclosure are waiting for a miracle to happen. And when people like me call they are happy. Sure, I might get a few people in denial or upset. But, you never know what kind of deal you may come across.

As long as I am not selling anything I am not going to worry about this. I am jut offering to help people from information I get from public recoreded documents.

Hahaha … - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on June 27, 2003 at 20:14:08:

Listen, I’ll ignore the fact that you’re trying to “school” me about doing deals by reiterating stuff you read in your courses.

I’ve been around long enough to “know what I’m doing”, so save it for the newbies.

Also, the last time I heard … Joe Kaiser uses the phone to contact possible deals as well. Guess he doesn’t know what he’s doing either.

You call it chasing, I call it doing business. You’ve got alot to learn about what works in REALITY versus what the courses would have you believe.

RL

Thank you, and my answers… - Posted by Hal Roark

Posted by Hal Roark on July 01, 2003 at 17:42:48:

Tom,

You and rl have been kind enuf to provide your own answers; I should do the same.

Before I do, though, I want to thank you for the state’s link. Turns out my state does have a registry. Interesting. I’ll have to check that out some day.

Here are the answers to my own questions…

1. Read the law. Thanks.

2. Theoretically, any unsolicted calls from a business is telemarketing. Theoretically, it doesn’t matter if it’s Bob’s Pizza dialing for 1000 new customers a day or Joe Newbie making his first and only preforeclosure phone call. Theoretically, it doesn’t matter if one is selling (worse) or buying. Theoretically, one could characterize either buying or selling, in low or high volume, as “telemarketing.”

3. There absolutely are degrees of telemarketing, in the real (and not theoretical) world. Joe foreclosure investing looking to buy a house that might be for sale is not the same thing as MCI pestering me at dinner to buy their long distance plan.

In fact, a few interesting questions are the following:

a) Would the foreclosing seller even recognize the call as a “telemarketing” attempt?
b) would he/she even know what to do about it if they construed it that way?
c) Even if A and B above were the case, are the chances of punishment all that great?

Interestingly, look at the consistent way the FTC even defines telemarketing again and again and again in it’s literature:

"What about telephone surveys?

A: If the call is really for the sole purpose of conducting a survey, it is not covered. Only telemarketing calls are covered ? that is, calls that solicit sales of goods or services. Callers purporting to take a survey, but also offering to sell goods or services, must comply with the National Do Not Call Registry."

Again later:

"The FTC’s Telemarketing Sales Rule requires certain disclosures and prohibits misrepresentations. It gives you the power to stop unwanted telemarketing calls and gives state law enforcement officers the authority to prosecute fraudulent telemarketers who operate across state lines.

The Rule covers most types of telemarketing calls to consumers, including calls to pitch goods, services, “sweepstakes,” and prize promotion and investment opportunities. It also applies to calls consumers make in response to postcards or other materials received in the mail.

Keep this information near your telephone. It can help you determine if youre talking with a legitimate telemarketer or a scam artist.

Its illegal for a telemarketer to call you if you’ve asked not to be called. If they call back, hang up and report them to your state Attorney General.

Calling times are restricted to the hours between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m.

Telemarketers must tell you it’s a sales call and who’s doing the selling before they make their pitch. If it’s a prize promotion, they must tell you that no purchase or payment is necessary to enter or win. If you’re asked to pay for a prize, hang up. Free is free.

It’s illegal for telemarketers to misrepresent any information, including facts about their goods or services, earnings potential, profitability, risk or liquidity of an investment, or the nature of a prize in a prize-promotion scheme.

Telemarketers must tell you the total cost of the products or services offered and any restrictions on getting or using them, or that a sale is final or non-refundable, before you pay. In a prize promotion, they must tell you the odds of winning, that no purchase or payment is necessary to win, and any restrictions or conditions of receiving the prize.

Its illegal for a telemarketer to withdraw money from your checking account without your express, verifiable authorization.

Telemarketers cannot lie to get you to pay, no matter what method of payment you use.

You do not have to pay for credit repair, recovery room, or advance-fee loan/credit services until these services have been delivered. (Credit repair companies claim that, for a fee, they can change or erase accurate negative information from your credit report. Only time can erase such information. Recovery room operators contact people who have lost money to a previous telemarketing scam and promise that, for a fee or donation to a specified charity, they will recover your lost money, or the product or prize never received from a telemarketer. Advance-fee loans are offered by companies who claim they can guarantee you a loan for a fee paid in advance. The fee may range from $100 to several hundred dollars.)

If you have the slightest doubt about a telephone offer, wait until you can get information in writing and check it out!"

When I read this, it’s very clear to me what kind of definition the FTC is using of “telemarketers”: businesses that use the phone as a means of soliciting customers to BUY their Product or service. This isn’t a ban against someone, even a business, calling me to buy something I have for sale.

Granted, one could still argue that me buying the house in foreclosure is telemarketing. I accept that theoretical possibility.

In my real world, though, I just don’t see that as a possibility at all. I mean, one in a billion.

And, let’s say the seller does report me, they make a complaint. HERE’S the best part: there is still no guarantee that anything is going to be done about it!

Let’s say something is. Let’s say my states attorney general decides to investigate.

He calls me and I fully disclose that I called as representative of my corp because I thouht he might want to sell his house (I wasn’t selling any product or service; I was looking to buy). I tell him that when the homeowner said don’t call again, I didn’t call again. Period.

Theoretically, the atty general could prosecute. Theoretically.

Are you kidding? In the real world, where, as Dan Kennedy likes to say, “parents eat their young”.

My atty general doesn’t have enuf money to prosecute the drug lords; I have NO FEAR he will chase me, even if it gets to this stage – and that’s awefully doubtful in the first place.

What that leads us to is…

1. Where I place this on the risk continuum. I recognize that it is a real risk for phone users. In my opinion for my business, though, this risk is so theoretical and hypothetical as to be almost non-existent. I mean, one in a billion. And frankly, if I make a billion preforeclosure calls, I’m gonna make a lot of money. Paying a $10,000 fine will be chicken feed in comparison.

Thus, I place this risk way, way, way out to the right. In the land of over the fence and deep into the theoretical woods.

And I think that’s the real value of this thread, Tom. While this thread has given me new info and helped me realize a new, potential risk that could exist, I suspect the greater value for others is that this thread has shown how competent, thoughful investors can disagree on an issue.

It’s all about making an informed judgement, and proceding therefrom.

Not all opinions are equal. Informed opinions are better. Experienced, informed opinions are best.

Someone could argue that in my state, they don’t have to return security deposits. Ok; that’s their opinion. They are wrong; state law clearly says they do, and, when they don’t, they have to send a letter within 30 days of the end of the tenancy describing why some/all of deposit money was withheld and for what reasons… hey, that person can have any opinion they want, but mine is informed by state law and tempered by personal experience… informed, and experienced opinions, the best kind.

Hopefully, someone will read this in Kalamazoo and say, Hey, that’s interesting. 4 presumadly experienced investors had differing opinions on the same topic. Each is doing different things with their business as a result. Isn’t that interesting?

Interesting? Yes. Necessary? Even more so. For the whole thing about business is to cut a path to the fastest and most efficient way to earn profits. That means navigating big and little land mines. One man’s mole hill is another man’s mountain.

May we all, nonetheless, reach the promised land! Part of my path will still include dialing for dollars!

Cheers,

Hal

I’m glad I don’t live in TN - Posted by jay

Posted by jay on July 02, 2003 at 10:34:49:

Thanks Houserookie.

1. Inman | Real Estate News for Realtors and Brokers

>>>Scoville said the association made an appeal for the state to investigate an exemption for Realtors, but added that it quickly became clear that that wasn’t going to happen. ‘‘They didn’t want to open that door and (risk) getting lobbied by every group in the state,’’ Scoville said.

The association also requested an exemption for calls to for-sale-by-owners, but that didn’t fly. ‘‘Our contention was that a sign on a property was an invitation to call,’’ said Scoville. ‘‘But the state said it was only an invitation to call if you were interested in purchasing the home.’’