Will I see you at the convention this year? - Posted by SCook85

bring the sink… - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on December 20, 2000 at 23:08:59:

Susan,
I was in a similar predicament until recently. However, I was going to Atlanta, period. Fortunately, I “coerced” my sister and her husband to care for the kids for the CREO convention.

We live in Austin, Texas and were going to Behle’s bootcamp in Salt Lake City in Utah last July. My wife, Kelly, flew with our two boys (2 and 3 at the time) to Richmond, Virginia to drop them off for the week at her parents, then flew across the country to Utah for the seminar, back to Richmond, and then home to Austin. That’s a good woman!

Re: sorry for being blunt - Posted by dewCO

Posted by dewCO on December 23, 2000 at 19:51:53:

You haven’t read much here at this site if you think people don’t share info. And there is no SECRET info. It’s all in the courses and books out there for you to read!!!

If the Archives worked… - Posted by Anthony-OH

Posted by Anthony-OH on December 20, 2000 at 17:02:36:

You could find a post by a newbie who called Ed Garcia on the phone one night. Ed proceeded to answer all of his questions and provide as much information as the guy could possibly take over the phone.

Ed was extremely impressed by the man’s enthusiasm and the man’s ability to process all of the information that Ed was throwing at him.

It was truly a wonderful story.

Oh, and the man was calling long distance from NY (I think) to Ed who is in (CA?)

I have no doubt that these guru’s :wink: just love talking about CRE.

Secret Real Estate Information - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on December 20, 2000 at 12:29:43:

Here’s the problem: You can give anyone an idea…but not anyone can necessarily EXECUTE.

I remember back when I owned a real estate brokerage company. I used to hire agents…some of whom were new. I would tell these new agents EXACTLY how to go do business. Most failed.

But to illustrate the difference, I hired one brand new agent. I told her EXACTLY how to go do business. She listened intently, and within days was out attempting to DO it. I tried to hold her back…I told her she needed some more education. She didn’t have time she said…she had appointments! Then I discovered that in her “off-moments” she was standing outside my office door…listening to my telephone conversations…making notes. But she still didn’t have time to read the information or listen to tapes that I had given her. Man was I frustrated. But suddenly she produced a listing from one of those appointments! A couple of weeks later she sold her own listing. What a ball of energy she was…EXECUTION we call it.

In fact, I liked her energy so well that I ended up marrying her…thereby reducing my income in half (LOL), but benefiting from that terrific energy she possesses.

I would say that the same idea is true of most endeavors…it’s one thing to be given information…it’s another thing to EXECUTE. To EXECUTE takes DOING. In fact, it takes DOING all of the things that most people won’t do. Something to think about.

JPiper

by Analogy . . . - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on December 20, 2000 at 11:48:26:

People ask me that a lot . . . what about all the other “we buy houses” ads? What about all the competition?

Think about this . . . how many real estate agents are in your town? Car dealers? Gas stations? They all survive and do business. Thus, most investors are willing to share their knowledge to others without fear of competition (not all will share it for FREE, though!).

Anyone in ANY business who is afraid to share information about success for fear of competition is a fool . . . you can’t corner the market on anything these deals.

It DOES happen… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on December 20, 2000 at 11:20:16:

A few years ago I bent over backwards to help a newbie tax lien investor, met them at a tax sale, went over due diligence, bidding, risks, etc. This low-life SOB ends up using my own due diligence to bid AGAINST me! (it was not anyone on CRE but from another forum). Now, I will help people to a great degree but there IS a limit, none of this “taking you under my wing” BS. It’s a shame but don’t be so naive that you give away the store trying to be Mr. Nice Guy.

Your wrong!!! - Posted by Tom

Posted by Tom on December 20, 2000 at 10:28:59:

There was a time in my life that I felt the same way. One of the first businesses that I started I was afraid to ask for help from the people that knew how to do it. After all, they were in business and the last thing they wanted was another competitor. So I went out and made all the mistakes myself. One day while talking to a competitor, I asked him what I thought was an inside question about his business. To my surprise he not only gave me the answer, but came to my business and helped me get on track.

You see there are no hidden secrets in any business, a good businessman knows that if he helps you, it will in turn help him. That?s why you see stores that sell the same type of merchandise in groups. The only thing that counts is how you service your customer.

Last year I helped 5 people start in business for themselves, the same business that I?m in. I gave them policies, helped them with licensing, zoning, and setting up their books. I told them were to go to get their clients and how to service those clients. I gave them all my ?secrets?. In return they have given me the other referrals and best of all their friendship.

Good business men and women are not afraid of competition, competition makes us all better business men and women.

Re: Let me help you… - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on December 20, 2000 at 10:24:35:

Honestyq,

There is no doubt about it. I can tell by your question, that you haven’t been around this forum much. If you had, you would see that it’s not only a site which shares and educates you on real-estate investing. It’s also, people helping people.

Honesty, I can tell you that when I first got involved with this site, my thinking was the same as yours. I come from the old school, where nobody wanted to show you how to do deals, for the exact reason that you have stated.

I Think the reason the seasoned investors are so open about real-estate investing, is because they don’t fill threatened by competition, due to the fact that if you live in California, you may be helping an investor in Texas. I can tell you that before this forum, the knowledge I have, I shared with nobody. There was no reason.

I think because of this site, which is dedicated to educating real-estate investors. The seasoned investors find a common ground in sharing their information. A CAMARADERIE if you will. I can promise you that when you go to the convention, you will walk away knowing something that you didn’t know before you went there.

You’ll find yourself thinking, I thought I knew what I was doing until I come here. I can now see that there is more to be done. For those like JPiper, Ray Alcorn, Phil Fernandez, Bud Branstetter, JohnBoy, SCook, my self, and the list goes on, it’s like a high school reunion. For those who are new or have only been doing this for only a few years to spend time with these knowledgeable men is rewarding, and you’re right, they don’t have to do it.

You can learn more in the BAR at this convention, than you would at most others.

I CAUTION YOU, you must be careful while you’re there, I assure you that what you will pick up there, will be CONTAGIOUS.

Ed Garcia

Re: sorry for being blunt - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on December 20, 2000 at 10:14:13:

My Opinion… but if your ever going to make any significant amount of money you need to change your thought process to realize that there is more money out there than we all want and need.

People help because what goes around comes around… and it just plain makes you feel good.

Also because as you teach you have a tendency to gain new clarities that you have never before seen.

David Alexander

one more thing - Posted by Matt B

Posted by Matt B on December 20, 2000 at 10:11:00:

In keeping with the theme of my response below, here’s one of my “secret” ways of finding motivated sellers. I put up signs that say:

WE BUY HOUSES!
We take over payments
No equity/ No problem
We will buy or lease your house
No commissions/fees

1-877-555-5555
(24 hour recorded message)

Shhh… don’t tell nobody!

an honest response - Posted by Matt B

Posted by Matt B on December 20, 2000 at 10:06:41:

I cannot speak for everyone, but I have many times offered complete help to people who are starting, and have received tons of help when I was starting out. People who I had never met before walked me through each potential deal, offering good, valid, useful advice on finding motivated sellers, marketing, constructing SPECIFIC deals, finding buyers, closing, etc.

I can understand where you’re coming from. When I first found this site, I was wondering what the catch was. I read and read through all the posts and articles and was blown away by all the great FREE information! I couldn’t believe it! I had been scammed many times before and was very skeptical about all these “pro investors” so willing to just give away their knowledge.

I did end up buying a couple of courses to help “fill in the gaps”, but when I had a question about something concerning what I had learned, posted it, and would usually have SEVERAL very good, FREE responses!

I have, on numerous occasions been contacted by people looking for help. Each time, I remembered the fantastic help that I was freely given here, and did what I could to help. Sometimes that just involved me adding an opinion about a deal that they were working on. With one person, I made some calls to sellers in HIS area that had responded to his ad. I recorded the conversations for him and played them back so he could hear the line of questions that I used, and how I dealt with sellers.

Amazingly, with all this free help, the vast majority find it fascinating, then abandon it. I’m sure someone else has a better understanding of this phenomenon, but I don’t understand. Then again, I have an addiction to creative real estate that has been afflicting me for a couple of years now.

So in answer to your question, for me at least, offering help to people starting out is just a way of giving back. Who started all this giving in the first place? Darned good idea!

I believe that those of us who have done deals on a regular basis soon realize that we do not know how to handle every situation that arises. The best way to learn more is to get that information from someone who has already dealt with that particular situation. Helping out others soon brings help to you. Kinda weird, huh?

airline tickets…check out… - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on December 20, 2000 at 13:45:01:

They are running some cheap specials.

Re: I’ll be there…somehow…oh and Steve - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on December 20, 2000 at 10:30:55:

Hi Carey,

If Steve doesn’t want the free meal, I’ll take it.

Make your plane reservations well ahead of time. It will be cheaper then if you wait just before the convention. Prices skyrocket if you make the reservation within a few weeks of your ride.

I’ll volunteer Steph and I’m in… - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on December 20, 2000 at 23:14:18:

DA,
I’m in for Sage early March (haven’t told Kel yet) and will probably skip Kiyosaki. I don’t have to be in Atlanta until the 29th so that leaves plenty of time for the Kaiser scavenger hunt. It sounds fun, but do I reserve my tickets to Atlanta from Austin or Washington? LOL!

Re: Will I see you at the convention this year? - Posted by Merle

Posted by Merle on December 21, 2000 at 17:48:20:

Ray … Looking forward to the golf. We will do some research for a good place to play. You make 3, so we need another for the foursome. If anyone listening wants to join us, let us know.

Merle

Holy Moley! - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on December 21, 2000 at 07:47:26:

That sure WAS a lot of travel—but I know worth it!

A similar thought had crossed my mind—to fly Shelby up to Grandma’s in Northern NJ. He’d probably love it; especially if there was snow!

Re: Secret Real Estate Information - Posted by danny

Posted by danny on December 20, 2000 at 13:40:34:

liked your comments,without motivation your nowhere.its true i invested in cs still hasnt arrived,im listening to peple on here and taking action,i went to investment group meeting ,i went to see 5 positive cash flow properties,and today i called again to setup a possible no money down deal,i have bad credit,but i get my property even if my wife has to co sign.ill keep you posted on the numbers so i can listen to advice and act.
by the way anybody with motives,try motivational tapes they really work if you apply it otherwise nothing will happen

Re: by Analogy . . . - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on December 21, 2000 at 07:57:05:

All those “we buy houses” signs are potential people to wholesale/flip your houses to.

All a matter of perspective… - Posted by MatthewC

Posted by MatthewC on December 20, 2000 at 16:38:31:

Good points.

There are those who believe the world is full of opportunities for everyone and there are those who believe there is a shortage of everything in life.

Anyone who can’t adjust to the new “open” ways of doing business will be in for a disappointment.

Re: one more thing - Posted by Cork Horner

Posted by Cork Horner on December 20, 2000 at 10:21:22:

NOW THAT IS FUNNY.[ the previous post to not spread around what is on the sign] i iagree with the idea promoted herein that ’ there is enough wealth for everybody.'. Imo, greed is not a healthy situation, it promotes nothing.