Will I see you at the convention this year? - Posted by SCook85

Re: an honest response - Posted by Robert (ID)

Posted by Robert (ID) on December 20, 2000 at 13:54:50:

I for one, would greatly appreicate the help of successful investor.
I am a newbie, I have posted several questions and have received some good answers, but also have received some smart a## remarks telling me to buy a course and read it. I have bought Ron,s Courses and even went to his wholesale bootcamp. I tried to do some flipping but I never was able to buy any properties. I was trying to buy according to Ron’s formula, but my bids were always at least $15,000 under the selling price of the house. Well I was getting scared and running out of money. (I am unemployeed and unable to work at this time. Its a long story and I sure that you all have heard the poorboy story. But to sum it up, I lost my job, lost my beautiful wife of 16 years, lost my house to my ex-wife, and have blown my knee out with no insurance. I spent 7 weeks unable to bend my knee, which I spent that time reading Ron’s material. (I am a slow reader, through nobody’s fault but my own, I only have a 9th grade education, which is 2 years more than my 4 brothers. NO, I AM NOT PROUD OF THIS) I have a hard time walking, especially going down hill or stairs. Now I am close to being out of money.) Well I changed to L/O’s hoping I could make some money. I picked up a house they were asking $125,000. I offered them $2000. plus the loan balance at closing. Their payments are $1050, and I pay them $900. I made a mistake of not getting them to pay the 1st 2 months, the house would not be vacant until Nov. 16. I couldn’t sleep, was totally stessed out. I didn’t have the money to pay my bills let alone take on this other payment.
My 1st payment was due Dec. 1st. I had a couple that wanted the house, but didn’t have the down payment.
I was so stressed about the payment due that I let them have the house. I gave them a 3 month lease for $1200 a month, which at the end of the lease, I would renew it, but I wanted $3000.00 for an option deposit. Was this wrong to do? Yes and no. Yes, because I gave them control of the house with no deposit. No, because I was able to pay the sellers their $900. and have $300. for myself. It was a stress reliever for me. I called the T/B yesterday, he told me that he had the house inspected and the electrical failed. He called an electician and had it rewired and he paid for it.
I think I got lucky with this T/B & I think (hope) they will give me the $3000 when they renew the lease.
Being stressed out about my having to make the 1st payment, I shut down the buying machine, this was mid Oct. I was to scared to buy anything! That was a big mistake because I received a lot of calls, but not from anyone that could afford the $1200. (I had turned down sellers with lower priced houses, because Ron said they would give me nightmares.) After I leased the house out I started cranking up the buying machine, I picked up 2 houses and have l/o optioned 1 of them already. Yes, I did get a $1500 deposit, $600 a month with my payment being $400. So now I have an income of $500 a month. I know this stuff works, because I am doing it. I also see a lot people who says it can’t be done without money. Well, I’ll tell you the closer I get to running out of money, the more determined I am to make this work.
Well, I am sorry about all the rambling, all I wanted to say is HEY NEWBIES IF YOU ARE EVER OFFERED FREE ADVISE AND A MENTOR IN REAL ESTATE, GRAB IT, HOLD AND CHERISH IT, BECAUSE YOU HAVE JUST BEEN HANDED THE GOOSE THAT LAYS GOLDEN EGGS.

Thanks for letting me ramble and vent,

Robert

Yeah! It is kinda weird… - Posted by Todd (MO)

Posted by Todd (MO) on December 20, 2000 at 11:19:54:

…it’s called reaping what you sow. You get back what you give out. Feels good, doesn’t it?

Many people feel skeptical when they find a group such as this that is willing to give and help others without wanting anything in return. Everyone is “on guard” these days that everyone must have an alternative motive and that they are just trying to “sell” them something.

Pro investors can give freely of their knowledge without “fear” of competition because quite frankly a majority of those receiving it do not live in their area, and most of them won’t use it anyway. And those that do use it are often not on the same investing level that the pro is. A “newbie” might use the info. to work a deal or two at a time, while the pro is working dozens at a time. And hey!, a little healthy competition just drives us to work that much harder.

To help answer your question Matt, a lot of people that get introduced to something that can dramatically change their lives such as real estate investing, are confronted with one of two fears, or both. The fear of failure, and the fear of success.

“WHAT!” Fear of success, that’s crazy!!!

Fear of failure most people are familiar with, but actually succeeding creates it’s own kind of fear. Everything that they learned all their lives about making money and earning a living is changing. Will they be the same person or become one of those greedy, shallow people they were warned about (and despised) all their lives? If making money is so easy, then why have I wasted so much of my life working so hard (kindof invalidates their past). And the biggest one of all, “Do I deserve it?”

When I first started out as an investor, I jumped right in and started making a ton of money fast. I was so excited to get all my friends involved with me because I knew they would love it and many of them had more of a background to start with than I did. I was shocked when they started giving me every excuse in the book as to why “I” could succeed in this, but “they” couldn’t. One of them even told me that he didn’t want the extra responsibility of owning a business and having that much money. Talk about weird???

It is a rare individual that can be given a new idea and have the fortitude to put it into action. They are the J. Piper’s, the Joe Kaiser’s, and countless others of us who are out there DOING IT!!! Many people learn all about real estate investing, but only a handful really get out there and put that knowledge into action. Which is the key ingredient to succeeding in this.

All you and I can do is to be there to show them the path…but they will have to take that first step.

Continued Success,

Todd

Re: airline tickets…check out… - Posted by jasonTX

Posted by jasonTX on December 20, 2000 at 17:22:09:

that’s www.southwest.com

Re: no Atlanta destination??? nt! - Posted by mike

Posted by mike on December 20, 2000 at 16:27:30:

Re: Will I see you at the convention this year? - Posted by Bruce Reeves

Posted by Bruce Reeves on December 22, 2000 at 08:24:12:

Merle, if you still need a fourth player, I would love to join in.

We buy houses full price… - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on December 21, 2000 at 09:31:01:

While surfing the web this morning, I noticed an ad that reads:

“We buy houses full price.”

I like this ad so much I think I will use it myself.
This is actually a knock off of the old, “we buy notes at full price.”

Often used in partial note purchases. I wonder if there is a way to make a partial real estate purchase too?

Houserookie

Re: All a matter of perspective… - Posted by Carlos

Posted by Carlos on December 22, 2000 at 11:06:22:

I just had to chime in. Your statement on “open” ways of doing business is awesome. Bill Gates was more open with his Operating System, while Steve Jobs was not open with his MAC Operating System. And we all know the outcome of that story. Microsoft dwarfs Apple. I’m a Network Engineer and we say that “Open Source” is where it’s at… Look out here comes LINUX… :o)

Carlos…

Re: Yeah! It is kinda weird… - Posted by Matt B

Posted by Matt B on December 20, 2000 at 11:40:23:

Good explanantion. I have also had people that I saw FAR more qualified than me to do deals saying that it would be nice, but they had this reason or that reason why it wouldn’t work for them. I had FAR more obstacles to overcome when I started. Terrible credit (due to massive ignorance in financial matters and a learned trait of spending more than I made) and no money was how I started out. I had just started working a new job that required a 10 hour day, plus a 2 and a half hour drive to get to work and back every day.

I approached many friends as I started doing deals and asked if they would like to get involved. Many had excellent credit, lots of money, and plenty of free time. I used to think that if I had that situation, I would have done about 10 times the deals that I did when starting out.

These same friends just found it amazing when I was doing deals left and right and getting more and more passive income, finally allowing me to quit my job. They thought it was really cool, but couldn’t ever see themselves “doing something like that”. I stopped actively offering to help people get involved in it. Not a single person ever accepted!

Guess that makes four … - Posted by Merle

Posted by Merle on December 22, 2000 at 09:38:03:

As soon as we do some research, I’ll let you know what we learn. If either of you know anything about golf courses in Atlanta, let me know via email.

Merle